- My employee is trying to align their goal to mine, but it doesn’t show up in the available options. How do they align their goal?
- How do I align my goals to someone who has their goals marked as visible?
- I need to complete a mid-year evaluation for my direct report because they are moving to a new position with a new supervisor next week. I don’t see a task to complete an evaluation, so how am I supposed to leave my feedback?
- How do I find a completed performance evaluation task?
- How do I complete performance tasks like the coaching session or final year-end evaluation and what does the workflow look like?
- What is the difference between a Task and a Performance Plan?
- How do I delete a goal?
- As a supervisor, how do I push a goal out to my direct reports?
- Why are the multiple goals that I created for my staff appearing in my performance plan instead of theirs?
- How do I find goals that were previously created for an employee?
- Is there another way I can pull up my employee’s performance plan to create a goal directly within their plan?
- How do I create a performance plan?
- When am I supposed to use the “Send Approval Request” button?
- What should I set the weighting to on individual goals?
- How can I check whether all my staff have acknowledged and completed the assigned Cornerstone tasks (i.e. performance planning, coaching session)?
- I am a supervisor, why is it that I do not have any reporting capabilities?
- Why does my reporting relationship in Cornerstone show up as my job title instead of what my position number relates to (i.e. Finance Professional instead of Gift Administrator)?
- How do I add a photo to my Cornerstone profile?
- Does temporary staff or faculty need to use Cornerstone? If not, why are they showing up as my direct reports?
- Will comments I add to individual goals on a performance plan show up in the final evaluation print-out?
- How do I have my employee complete a self evaluation?
- What is the difference between a Competency, Job Duty, or Goal?
- My employee just started a few days ago, do I need to complete an evaluation?
- Do I need to complete a closeout evaluation in Cornerstone for my employee?
In order to allow someone to align a goal to you, the “visibility” checkbox needs to be marked upon creation of the goal. Please refer to our Cornerstone Knowledgebase for a detailed walkthrough regarding goal alignment.
In order to provide mid-year feedback for your employee and their new supervisor to see, you can do so by leaving a comment on individual goals within their performance plan. These comments will carry over with the employee’s performance plan and be visible to the new supervisor. They will also be accessible to the new supervisor for the final year-end evaluation task, to take into consideration before selecting a final rating. However, the comments will not appear on the final pdf document of the year-end evaluation task unless they are copied and pulled into the task directly.
Click on the hamburger menu and select “Performance Reviews.” This will pull up the list of currently active and non-complete tasks, however you also have the option on this page to check a box for viewing completed tasks.
A task will appear under your task list and is an outstanding item that requires action within a certain timeframe. There are 3 kinds of tasks for both University and Classified Staff: the coaching session task, the performance planning task, and the final year-end evaluation task. A Performance Plan is what you create at the beginning of a performance cycle and contains a particular number of goals, job duties, or competencies; progress of these items can be tracked throughout the year. Eventually, the tasks will require you to either create, reflect, or evaluate these Performance Plan items.
In order to delete a goal and remove it from view, you will need to cancel it. When on the performance planning page, find the goal you wish to remove and click on the dropdown carrot to expand the options menu. Select “Cancel” and confirm the decision to remove the goal.
When you are creating a goal and wish to have it appear in the live environment for your employees, you need to submit it. When you save the goal as a draft, it only appears for you to see. Below is an image showing what a goal that is saved as a draft will look like in your performance plan.
You can find goals previously created for an employee by clicking the “Performance Planning” tile, then clicking the “Team Performance Plan” tab. This will list all your direct reports, and you can click the dropdown carrot for each employee to see their goals.
This is discretionary based on your department requirements, however the weighting of all goals in a performance plan must equal 100.
As a supervisor you have access to reporting tools. If you click the hamburger menu and select “Reports” then “Standard Reports” you will be presented with a variety of reports to help you keep track of your employees. The report for this scenario that you would want to run is called “Performance Review Step Status Report.” When you open the report, you can select which performance review task you would like to check the status of. You do not need to change anything in the “User Criteria” or “Display OU” fields. Once the task is selected, click on the button that says “Export to Excel.” You can learn more about reporting abilities on our Cornerstone Knowledgebase.
We will need to set up the permissions based on your department requirements. Please submit a ticket to us by clicking on the Help tile from the Cornerstone homepage and then clicking on the technical support link.
Unfortunately Cornerstone uses an employee’s job code as an identifier, not their position number. We are unable to change this particular setting within Cornerstone. The nightly feed takes data directly from HCM, so if you see something wrong in Cornerstone, please make sure it is right in HCM.
Click on the hamburger menu and select “My Account” with the gear icon next to it. Once on this page, hover your mouse over your profile photo icon and a dropdown carrot will appear. Click on the dropdown carrot and select “change” to begin the process of uploading your profile picture.
No, they will not need to complete any tasks or use Cornerstone, however, we still include them in the user data feed to represent an accurate reporting relationship in your hierarchy.
No, comments you add to performance plan items are meant for tracking progress throughout the year and to facilitate back and forth conversation between supervisor and employee regarding performance feedback. Such examples would be quarterly coaching notes or self evaluations. In the final evaluation task, you have the option to view all comments made and can then choose which ones you would like to appear in the final evaluation print-out, which will eventually be the official file tied to the employee’s personnel record.
Since there is currently no official task for self evaluations, we advise users to use the comment feature on individual performance plan items to track progress throughout the year, and to also use this section as a place for a self evaluation on each competency, job duty, or goal. Comments made here can act as an ongoing conversation between employee and supervisor and will not show up in the final evaluation print-out at the end of the year, unless copied into the final evaluation task. For further guidance and a step by step walkthrough on how to complete self evaluations, please refer to our Cornerstone Knowledgebase.
Note that if an employee switches supervisors, the new supervisor will be able to see all comments made prior (including comments made by the previous supervisor).
Competency: The skills and behaviors employees develop and demonstrate to execute their goals and job duties. While goals and job duties articulate “what” is to be done, competencies provide guidelines for “how” that work gets done.
Job Duty: The general tasks and day-to-day operational responsibilities of a given role, the work generally outlined in a position description. While goals tend to be specific projects to be delivered during specific time frames, job duties remain fairly constant for a given position over time.
Goal: Observable and measurable future results to be achieved within a reasonably specific timeframe. CU Boulder employees should plan and execute 1-3 team or individual goals during a given performance period.
You only need to complete an evaluation for the current performance cycle that the employee started in. So if the employee is University staff and they started on January 1st, they will need to complete the current year evaluation since the performance cycle for University staff spans 2/1-1/31.
If that employee started during the performance evaluation period instead, which for University staff is 2/1-3/1, you will not need to complete the evaluation for that current period and can wait until the upcoming year's performance evaluation period.
If the employee is leaving the University, then no closeout evaluation is necessary in Cornerstone. However, if the employee will remain on campus and the only change is in supervisors during the performance cycle year, we advise supervisors to leave closeout feedback as comments on individual goals within that employee's performance plan. This will allow the new supervisor to view progress and feedback for that employee and enable them to take that into consideration for the final year-end evaluation.