The IRS Data Retrieval Tool allows students and parents to retrieve their IRS tax return information directly into the FAFSA. Using this tool saves you time and reduces the number of documents that must be submitted to the Office of Financial Aid.
How to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool Step-by-Step
You will be prompted to use the IRS Data Retrieval while completing the FAFSA if you are eligible. If we request that you complete data retrieval, please use the following instructions:
- Log in to fafsa.ed.gov/
- Click on Make FAFSA Corrections, enter FSA ID and password.
You will need to create an FSA ID in order to retrieve your tax information. Click the 'Create an FSA ID' link and complete the requested information. For help with the FSA ID, visit studentaid.gov.
- Navigate to the Financial Information tab
- If you can answer "No" to all of the questions, the tax filer will then click on Link to IRS
- Once you are transferred to the IRS website, fill in the information exactly as it was entered on the tax return
- Click Transfer Now to go back to the Financial Information screen
- To enhance security and protect your privacy, any transferred data will not display on your FAFSA, but will be marked as 'Transferred from the IRS'
- Navigate to the Sign & Submit tab to submit the corrected FAFSA