The faculty have established a deadline for students to drop classes. Deadlines are posted on the Office of the Registrar’s website. Students are responsible for knowing and adhering to posted deadlines.
Submitting the petition does NOT result in automatic approval. Students are expected to keep attending class and submitting work until they have received an official outcome of their petition. Petitions will be accepted until 5 p.m. (MT) on the last day of classes for full session fall and spring classes, or by the withdrawal deadline for special session classes. No petitions will be accepted after 5 p.m. (MT).
Students wishing to request a full term withdrawal should submit an online withdrawal form instead of a late drop petition.
In and of themselves, the following are not sufficient reasons to drop a class beyond the posted deadline.
- Poor performance in class.
- GPA protection.
- Academic standing/financial aid concerns.
- Failure to verify class schedule through Buff Portal.
- Failure to monitor waitlist position.
- Change of major or program that results in a class no longer being a requirement.
- Failure to attend/participate in class on a regular basis.
- Failure to abide by withdrawal deadlines.
A complete late drop petition must have 3 different files attached. Petitions submitted without all of the required documents will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed.
1). Attach a TYPED statement explaining the unforeseen extenuating circumstances that occurred and that are the grounds for your petition.
Your statement must include:
- Why/How these extenuating circumstances impacted your engagement in this one class.
- Why/How these extenuating circumstances did not impact your engagement in your other class(es).
- Why you did not drop the class by the posted deadline within the semester.
2). Attach thorough supporting documentation of your extenuating circumstances, including the specific dates of occurrence.
All documentation must be submitted with this petition, no further documentation will be accepted at a later date.
Official letterhead from your health care provider is required when citing health related issues.
If you have questions about documentation, please contact your academic advisor.
3). Attach a completed instructor evaluation form.
PLEASE NOTE: Students enrolled in multiple colleges at the University of Colorado at Boulder (Business and Arts and Sciences, etc) must adhere to posted deadlines and policies for their primary college.
Please Complete the Following: