Education abroad is an opportunity to earn CU Boulder credit toward your degree while studying in another country for a summer, semester or year. There are hundreds of approved programs available, ranging from enrollment at a university abroad to traveling seminars with CU Boulder faculty, internship experiences and much more!
"During the Fall semester of 2017 I had the opportunity to study abroad in Costa Rica for the entirety of the term. Not only did I take courses about Costa Rican culture, environmental relationships, and land vertebrates, but I also saw and experienced what I was learning in class everyday. This experience was completely immersive, as I was living with a Costa Rican family, eating authentic food and traveling to vast rainforests and volcanoes. Studying abroad offered many learning opportunities and unforgettable experience. If I had the choice I would do it all over again."
Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, 2019
Who can study abroad?
- Coursework is available for a wide variety of majors! It's possible to earn major, minor, certificate and/or General Education credit while abroad, as well as elective courses that may help toward overall degree requirements
- We encourage all interested students to explore whether an abroad experience is a good fit for them and to consult the education abroad website
- There are numerous scholarships available, and typically students are able to use their financial aid for approved programs through education abroad
What are my next steps?
- Complete Abroad 101 through the education abroad office, which is available either online or in person
- Discuss your interest in study abroad with your academic advisor for your major(s)
- Your academic advisor will help you plan out the best time to study abroad and think about the types of courses that may want or need to take while you're overseas
- Connect with an education abroad advisor to narrow program options and apply
- Once you have a program in mind, work with your academic advisor and complete a course planning form