I am an archaeologist who works mainly on the Great Plains; I have also worked in the Colorado mountains, coastal California, the California desert, the Great Basin, Germany, and Ireland. I have a major technical interest in the study of how ancient people made and used stone tools. My research has focused on how human use of the Plains landscape responded to long-term environmental change during the Paleoindian period (from roughly 11,000 to 8000 BC); recently, my interests have shifted towards the archaeology of farmers on the central and northern Plains during the last 1000 years. I am currently involved in a long-term field project that examines the archaeology of the Ceramic Period along the Pine Ridge in northwestern Nebraska.
- 2008 Finlay, N. and D.B. Bamforth (editors). Skilful Stones: Approaches to Knowledge and Practice in Lithic Technology. Journal of Archaeological Method and Theory, vol. 15. (Special Issue).
- 2007 Bamforth, D.B. (editor). The Allen Site: A Paleoindian Camp in Southwestern Nebraska. Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press.
- 2007 Bamforth, D. B., and C. Nepstad-Thornberry. 2007 Reconsidering the occupational history of the Crow Creek site (39BF11). Plains Anthropologist 52:153-173.
- 2007 Bamforth, D.B. and C. Nepstad-Thornberry. The shifting social landscape of the fifteenth century Middle Missouri region. In Plains Village Archaeology: Bison Hunting Farmers in the Central and Northern Plains, edited by Stanley A. Ahler and Marvin Kay, pp. 139-154. University of Utah Press, Salt Lake City.
- 2006 Bamforth, D. B. Hunter-gatherer mining and hunter-gatherer landuse on the Continental Divide: the Windy Ridge Site. World Archaeology 38:511-527.
- 2006 Bamforth, D.B. 2006 Climate, chronology, and the course of war in the Middle Missouri. In E. Arkush and M. Allen (eds.), The Archaeology of Warfare: Prehistories of Raiding and Conquest, pp. 66-100. University of Florida Press, Gainesville.
- 2005 Bamforth, D.B., M. Becker, and J. Hudson. Intrasite spatial analysis, ethnoarchaeology, and Paleoindian land-use on the Great Plains: the Allen Site. American Antiquity 70:561-580.
- 2004 Bamforth, D.B. and P. Woodman. Tool hoards and Neolithic use of the landscape in northeastern Ireland. Oxford Journal of Archaeology 23:21-44.
- 2002 Bamforth, D. B. Evidence and metaphor in evolutionary archaeology. American Antiquity 67:435-452. (reprinted in G. Bawden [ed.], 2003, Readings in American Archaeological theory: Selections from American Antiquity 1962-2002. Society for American Archaeology, Washington.; reprinted as Evidencias y metaforas en la arqueologia evolucionista, In L Orquera (Translator) and V. Horwitz (Compiler), 2007. Clasicos de Teoria Arqueologica Contemporanea, pp. 289-319. Societad Argentina de Anthropologia, Buenos Aires.)
- 2002 Bamforth, D. B. High-tech foragers? Folsom and later Paleoindian technology on the Great Plains. Journal of World Prehistory 16:55-98.