There are a variety of options for College of Music students to immerse themselves in the music and culture of a different part of the world! Music majors at have the option to study abroad for a semester or summer term. The College of Music has worked closely with the Study Abroad Office to identify programs that offer music courses, ensembles, and/or applied lessons for music majors.
We have developed a Study Abroad guide for music majors with information about these options, including (but not limited to) programs in England, Australia, Amsterdam, Vienna, Milan and South Africa: Music Study Abroad Guide
While most of the programs on the list are hosted by approved organizations outside the college, "Music and the Performing Arts: Renaissance in the XXI Century" is the only program hosted by the College of Music. Every year after the end of the spring semester, a dozen or so students study and play music in Florence, Italy. For more information about the Florence study-abroad program, visit the Florentia Consort website.
Here are some steps to take if you hope to study abroad:
- Attend Study Abroad 101 (see the Study Abroad and College of Music websites for dates/times)
- Conduct research using the Study Abroad Website (click on “programs” to search)
- Visit the CU-Boulder Study Abroad programs office in Center for Community Room S355 to further discuss your options and ask questions.
- Once you have an idea where you would like to go, visit the Office of Undergraduate Studies in the College of Music for academic guidance (course descriptions and/or syllabi must be reviewed to determine whether study abroad courses are equivalent in content and credit hours to required music or non-music courses at CU-Boulder).
- Consult with your music academic advisor and/or applied instructor (prior approval by the applied studio teacher at CU-Boulder is required to receive credit for applied study credits earned abroad).
- Select a program and apply through CU-Boulder Study Abroad Programs (application deadlines are October 1st for the Spring 2013 study abroad programs and March 1st for Summer or Fall 2013 study abroad programs).
If you would are interested in focusing on non-music requirements when you study abroad, visit the University of Colorado Boulder Study Abroad Office Website.
"Souvenir de Florence" is a production of Florentia Consort.