Music majors at the University of Colorado Boulder have the option to study abroad for a semester or summer term. The College of Music has worked closely with the Study Abroad Office to identify programs that offer music courses, ensembles, and/or applied lessons for music majors. We have developed a Study Abroad guide for music majors with information about these options, including (but not limited to) programs in England, Australia, Amsterdam, Vienna, Milan, and South Africa.
If you wish to study music while abroad, this guide provides some excellent options. If you would rather focus on non-music requirements, you can consider many of the programs/institutions on the Study Abroad Office website.
Here are some steps to take if you hope to study abroad:
- Attend Study Abroad 101 (see the Study Abroad and College of Music websites for dates/times)
- Conduct research using the Study Abroad Website (click on “programs” to search)
- Visit the CU-Boulder Study Abroad programs office in Center for Community Room S355 to further discuss your options and ask questions.
- Once you have an idea where you would like to go, visit the Office of Undergraduate Studies in the College of Music for academic guidance (course descriptions and/or syllabi must be reviewed to determine whether study abroad courses are equivalent in content and credit hours to required music or non-music courses at CU-Boulder).
- Consult with your music academic advisor and/or applied instructor (prior approval by the applied studio teacher at CU-Boulder is required to receive credit for applied study credits earned abroad).
- Select a program and apply through CU-Boulder Study Abroad Programs (application deadlines are October 1st for the Spring 2013 study abroad programs and March 1st for Summer or Fall 2013 study abroad programs).
For information on study abroad programs for music majors, please click here.