Do you know where you’ll be living next year? The Off-Campus Housing Fair is the perfect place to get started on your housing search.
Stop by the UMC Glenn Miller Ballroom on Wednesday, Oct. 31, to meet with property management companies and vendors in the Boulder area. Here are some tips from Off-Campus Housing & Neighborhood Relations (OCH&NR) to help you make the most of the Off-Campus Housing Fair.
Do your research
Visit the OCH&NR office in UMC 313 for a list of apartment complexes and contact information for Boulder’s property management companies. Here are a few things to consider as you are looking at different neighborhoods and properties:
- Create your budget so you know ahead of time what you can afford for rent, utilities, etc.
- Look at public transportation options in the neighborhoods you’re interested in.
- Ask other students about their experiences living in their neighborhoods.
Give yourself enough time at the fair
The housing fair will take place in the UMC Glenn Miller Ballroom starting at 10 a.m. There will be about 30 companies and property managers there representing over 1,000 individual rental units. Students attending the fair will be able to search for one, two, three and four-plus bedroom apartments, houses and condos. Various vendors also will be there with specials and information on their respective services.
Good questions to keep in mind when searching for a rental property:
- Is your rental license on file with the city of Boulder?
- How many people are legally zoned to live in the property?
- Are utilities included in the rent? If so, what is included?
- Who is responsible for yard maintenance and shoveling?
- What type of security does the unit/property have?
- Have there ever been any mice or insect problems?
- What repairs will be made to the unit before move-in?
Enjoy free lunch, win a prize
Free pizza will be served at the fair from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Plus, check in with OCH&NR table at the fair and enter a raffle to win a flat-screen TV!
If you are already in the process of signing a lease, set up an appointment with the Off-Campus Housing & Neighborhood Relations staff attorney for a free lease review.