For the past seven weeks, the student and faculty teams in CU Boulder’s accelerator program, Catalyze CU, have been incubating transformative companies. Now the teams are set to give five-minute business pitches at the Catalyze CU Demo Day on Thursday, July 27, at the Boulder Canyon Theater.
Each team will give a five-minute business pitch. Afterward, there will be hands-on demonstrations and refreshments served in the lobby. There are a limited number of tickets available, so be sure to register in advance.
Entry is free for community members, but purchased tickets will translate to a Catalyze token, which can then be "invested" in a company of choice after the pitch competition. All proceeds go to the teams to support their ventures.
Teams presenting at Demo Day include:
- Give & Go: Automates the film editing process for sports teams and coaches, making it 72 times faster than current methods.
- Glimpse: Allows users to explore the world using a social app while supporting local residents.
- Myra Makes: Inspires future problem solvers by creating fun products with adventure-based challenges.
- Pastificio: Produces traditional artisanal Italian pasta using organic and heirloom whole grains.
- ReForm: Makes a novel, low-cost adjustable prosthetic socket for lower limb amputees.
- The Space Research Company: Provides easier access to basic space research using a small satellite biological research platform.
- Specdrums: Creates a collaborative musical experience with a device that allows you to tap on different colors to produce sound.
- Very Important Teacher (VIT): Allows parents and businesses to recognize teachers using gifts and rewards.
Currently in its fourth year, Catalyze CU is hosted out of the Idea Forge, a cross-disciplinary design and innovation space on campus. Interested companies apply, interview and are accepted to be part of the program. Selected groups then receive structured programming, access to network of mentors and $4,000 in equity-free funding to develop their businesses.
This year's event takes place at Boulder Canyon Theater in the Boulder Public Library, located at 1001 Arapahoe Ave. Doors open at 6 p.m., and the program starts at 6:30 p.m.
Catalyze CU Boulder plans to accept applications for next year’s session in March 2018. The program is open to CU students, faculty and staff interested in taking their business ideas to the next level.