The Cultural Unity and Engagement Center is excited to announce the second annual Ignite: Yourself, Our Community, Our Future – A Social Justice Retreat for students from Friday, Feb. 3, until Sunday, Feb. 5.
The retreat will take place at both CU Boulder and YMCA of the Rockies in Estes Park: Friday night’s activities will take place on campus in the evening, and participants will travel to the YMCA on Saturday morning for the remainder of the retreat.
Who: Undergraduate students
When: Friday, Feb. 3, through Sunday, Feb. 5
Where: CU Boulder campus and YMCA of the Rockies, Estes Park, Colorado
Applications are due Friday, Jan. 20, by 11:59 p.m. Apply online now.
The purpose of the Ignite retreat is to facilitate students' understanding of diversity and social justice within the context of leadership. Students will not only gain a deeper understanding of their own identities but will have opportunities to meet new friends and to build new and strengthen existing coalitions between individuals and groups.
Participants need to come prepared to actively engage in activities by sharing views, attitudes, beliefs and experiences openly and honestly. At Ignite, students will be able to:
- participate in small group dialogue around areas of diversity and social justice,
- explore the concept of privilege and reflect on their own privilege from multiple lenses,
- engage in self-exploration of values, beliefs, preconceptions and prior learning in others,
- foster new relationships with other students and Ignite staff members and
- cultivate leadership skills in the areas of diversity and social justice.
Student applications are due Friday, Jan. 20, by 11:59 p.m. Please complete the application if you are interested in attending. Selected students will be notified of acceptance on Wednesday, Jan. 25.