Student Legal Services can counsel students on many types of civil (non-criminal) cases.

If a student has a landlord/tenant issue, Off-Campus Housing and Neighborhood Relations also has a part-time attorney on staff who can answer landlord/tenant questions at no cost. We are required to charge modest fees for our services

Some of the civil issues we can help with include:

  • Contract review
  • Credit report or credit card disputes
  • Debt collection demands
  • Divorce or child support
  • Immigration
  • Insurance claims
  • Landlord/tenant
  • Lemon laws
  • Powers of attorney
  • Restraining orders
  • Small claims court
  • Wage disputes

Note that, in certain situations, we will be unable to assist students on matters such as these. See our limitations on services page for more information.