Graduate students who are employed as a Teaching Assistant (TA) or Research Assistant (RA) need to be officially hired by the University to receive a monthly salary and tuition waiver.  There are two forms that need to be completed before your RA/TA appointment can be entered into the HR system:

  1. Personal Information Sheet: Your name must be entered exactly as it appears on your Social Security Card.
  2. I-9: This form needs to be verified in person with the graduate coordinator.  You may fill out the first section of the form, but do not sign.  It is very important that you bring original IDs (no copies) from the list of acceptable documents on page 9 of the form.

You must set up a time to meet with the graduate coordinator to complete the I-9 form in person and process your payroll paperwork.  You will need to bring your original Social Security card (no copies) and original IDs for the I-9 form to complete your hire.  At the meeting with the graduate coordinator, you will receive your RA/TA offer letter with details about your appointment and your payroll information will be entered into the University payroll system.

After your appointment is entered into the University payroll system, you then need to complete three items online:

  1. Emergency Contact Information (available online at the MyCUinfo portal)
  2. W-4 (available online at the MyCUinfo portal)
  3. Direct Deposit (available online at the MyCUinfo portal)

International students need to complete the following when they arrive on campus:

  1. Apply for a Social Security number at the Social Security office, located at 4949 Pearl Street, Suite 101.  In order to be issued a number, you must present your passport and immigration documents to the Social Security Administration officials in addition to another form of photo identification.  It usually takes about 10 days to 6 weeks to get a Social Security number.
  2. Complete the I-9 form at the CU Human Resources Department (HR).  They will require original forms of ID (no copies).  You do not need to make an appointment, but you should visit them as soon as possible.  They are located on east campus and you can find their address and contact information on the HR website.
  3. Make an appointment to meet with an international tax specialist.  They will help you complete the W-4 document and answer any questions you have so that your payments are taxed at the proper rate.  You should schedule an appointment online as soon as possible.


For more information concerning jobs for graduate school visit: