This form serves two main interrelated functions:
- To increase transparency on degree planning/coursework and dissertation hour enrollment
- To streamline dissertation hour enrollment (the MSE staff graduate advisor must sign you up for dissertation hours) - PhD students only
You will be responsible for signing up for courses through your Buff Portal. Your research advisor and MSE staff will review this information at the beginning of the semester. Please review coursework and degree requirements and clarify questions prior with the MSE staff graduate advisor prior to enrolling in courses and submitting this form.
The MSE graduate advisor will sign you up for any dissertation hours. This form serves as that request. Discuss any dissertation thesis hour plans with your research advisor/PI in advance of filling out this form. Please review with your PI the following information prior to submission.
PhD students on an RA appointment: The student's research advisor/PI is responsible for paying for tuition that includes course credit hours and dissertation hours. Students and faculty should be aware of the cost of hours (see bursar's office tuition and fee rate sheet) and how that effects their grants and funding plans. Students and faculty should also be aware of important add/drop deadlines and graduation deadlines. Once the drop deadline passes, tuition is non-refundable.
Dissertation hour standards:
- 1 dissertation hour if the student is still taking a course (1-4 credit course(s) + 1 dissertation thesis hour)
- 3 dissertation hours if the student is not taking courses and has NOT passed the comprehensive exam the prior semester.
- A minimum of 5 but no more than 10 dissertation hours each semester after passing the comprehensive exam until graduation
- Students must be registered for a minimum of 5 dissertation hours the semester they defend.
- Students should only register for hours in the summer if they plan to defend in the summer term. Summer registration is rarely necessary and rarely recommended.
- Students are recommended to complete only as many hours as required (30 dissertation thesis credit hours)