Published: Feb. 7, 2023

ISSS understands that being away from home when a crisis or tragedy occurs in one’s home country is extremely stressful. Please know that the university and ISSS are proud that you have chosen to be a part of the CU Boulder community and are here to support you.

As always, our door and hearts are open to listen and help you navigate difficult times. Please do not hesitate to contact ISSS with your questions, concerns and support needs.

Campus Resources

Here are some existing campus resources that are available to those who may be directly or indirectly impacted by a crisis. Please feel free to share with anyone you feel could benefit.

Ways to Support Yourself and Each Other through a Traumatic Event

Don’t Ignore It (for students, staff and faculty)

  • Provides students, staff and faculty with resources and options for confidential support, reporting concerns and skills for helping a fellow Buff in need.

The Office of Victim Assistance (OVA) (for students, staff and faculty)

Student Support and Case Management (SSCM)

  • SSCM assists students who are experiencing distress from events such as personal or family crisis. SSCM works collaboratively to support academic success and emotional well-being.
  • Location: Center for Community (C4C), N460
  • Phone: 303-492-7348

Counseling & Psychiatric Services (CAPS)

  • CAPS offers confidential, on-campus mental health and psychiatric services for a variety of concerns. They offer mental health skills related workshops, group therapy, brief individual therapy, psychiatry, and 24/7 crisis services.
  • Location: Center for Community (C4C), N352
  • Phone: 303-492-2277 (24/7 phone support)

Faculty & Staff Assistance Program (FSAP) (for faculty and staff)

  • The Faculty & Staff Assistance Program (FSAP) is dedicated to serving the emotional and psychological needs of the campus community. All FSAP staff are trained as generalist counselors and are equipped to deal with a wide range of personal and work- related issues. You must be a CU Boulder employee to use FSAP services, and services are no cost to all CU Boulder faculty and staff members. Due to licensing restrictions, employees must be in the State of Colorado to be eligible for FSAP counseling services.
  • Location: Administrative & Research Center (ARC), 3100 Marine Street
  • Phone: 303-492-3020

The Real Help Hotline (for faculty and staff)

  • Provides access to professional counselors who can offer assistance finding local resources as well as immediate crisis counseling. This program is free, confidential and available to all employees 24/7
  • Phone: 833-533-2428

Additional Campus Support Resources

Federal Government Special Student Relief

Sometimes the federal government provides Special Student Relief for international students in the U.S. when there is civil unrest, war, natural disaster, etc. in their home countries. ISSS will reach out to you directly if the federal government does in the future grant such relief for international students from specific countries.

Humanitarian Aid Donation Guidelines

If you're interested in donating to a relief effort, here are some guidelines to follow. 

Before you donate, do your research.

  • Look for reputable, registered organizations and non-profits.
    • Review organizations' annual reports
  • Beware of scams and get a receipt for your donation.
  • The most effective form of donations are monetary ones at the local level.
  • Consider donating repeatedly to support long-term relief, not just short-term.

How to Make Sure Your Donation Will Do the Most Good