Led by its JEDI Task Force, INSTAAR is working toward becoming an anti-racist institute. Decolonizing systems is the ultimate goal, which goes far beyond actions by individuals or units. However, actions can help us create a culture that values and exercises justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion within INSTAAR and our surrounding contexts.
Goal: Dismantling biases
Dismantle biases, especially anti-Blackness, within our institute and within our larger institutional and scientific contexts.
- Organized ongoing mandatory and optional training for all INSTAARs in diversity and inclusion.
- Continued participation in activities that help INSTAARs move along their antiracist journeys, such as antiracism discussion sessions and the Unlearning Racism in the Geosciences (URGE) program.
Goal: Nurturing inclusion
Create an inclusive, positive environment for people from all groups underrepresented in STEM
- Finalized INSTAAR codes of conduct, including codes specific to lab and field work. See appendices in our Standing Rules.
- Reward JEDI-centered activities as part of performance evaluations and promotion processes for faculty and staff.
- Established mentorship programs for new INSTAARs; for students and postdocs who self-identify as from underrepresented or underserved groups; and for potential graduate school applicants.
Goal: Aligning demographics
Align the demographics of INSTAAR with those of our state and nation.
- Developed a strategic hiring plan that centers scholarship and opportunities relevant to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Improved hiring practices by including justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion as concrete criteria and by improving guidance on creating inclusive job announcements, advertising opportunities to diverse groups, and training those participating in the search process.
- Participated in CU Boulder’s Faculty Diversity Action Plan, which allowed us to recruit two additional Faculty Fellows of color during the pandemic hiring freeze.
Goal: Reducing barriers
Reduce barriers to living in Boulder and conducting scientific research at the University of Colorado Boulder.
- Instituted DEI fellowships that provide summer funding for graduate students.