The Staff Excellence Program was formed in 2009 based on recommendations made as part of strategic planning. These recommendations include staff growth, training, engagement, and recognition, as well as improving efficiency of administrative processes. Listed below are several opportunities for staff to help meet these recommendations.
- College of Engineering Outstanding Staff Award recognizes a staff member who has made outstanding contributions that benefit the students, staff and faculty of a CEAS department, program, or the college itself. As many as three staff may be selected for this honor each year. The award is presented annually and the winner receives a stipend of $2,000.
- The Employee Recognition Award recognizes outstanding classified and professional exempt staff. The award is rotated between the various departments and programs of the College on a monthly basis so that each unit (or clusters of small units) has an opportunity to honor a staff member once each academic year. The award amount is $500 (funding provided by the nominating unit).
- Staff Incentive Award recognizes classified and exempt professional staff employees’ special accomplishments or contributions to the college, such as innovate ideas, creativity and exemplary performance while undertaking special projects or tasks. The form of the award is a cash award that would generally not exceed $100 in value, though occasionally awards up to $500 in value may be made for particularly substantial service. Funding is provided by the nominating unit. Nominations may be submitted at any time via a short email to the Dean and the CEAS Director of Human Resources.
- College of Engineering and Applied Science Staff Advisor Award recognizes staff advisors who demonstrate exceptional advising skills and who may serve as role models to other staff advisors in the College. This award is given annually and carries a $1,000 stipend. Recipients of the award are selected based on the scores and comments received on class and advising surveys conducted by the College.
- The Commitment to Excellence Award was established by the college to retain excellent staff by creating a supportive work environment for its employees. Recipients of this award shall have reached a five-year anniversary of continuous service as a professional exempt or classified staff member of the college with an appointment of at least 50% time.
In addition to the awards mentioned above, several departments and programs have established unit-specific staff awards to honor their employees.
Engineering Staff Professional-Development Funds
Any classified or university staff member employed in the college may apply for funding for exam fees, training sessions, workshops, conferences, certification programs or other activities that enhance their professional skills. The request may be directly related to the individual’s current job or may enhance general professional development and should be in alignment with CU Boulder’s strategic emphasis on leadership, innovation and positive impact. Funding of up to $500 per staff member per fiscal year and per event is available on a first-come, first-served basis. A 1:1 or greater cost share is expected from the staff member’s unit.
Requests may be submitted at any time. Staff members should discuss the request and cost-share with their supervisors before applying; procedures may vary across units.
For full consideration, requests should be submitted at least two weeks before the professional development registration deadline or payment due date. Requests for funds are approved on a first-come, first-served basis per fiscal year (July 1-June 30).