Two males students working together at a tableThe Office of Financial Aid is responsible for administering financial aid for all terms in the academic year. The amount of aid you can receive during Summer Session is determined by the number of credits you enroll in and your aid eligibility.

Summer aid is typically limited to your remaining eligibility from the previous academic year for Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans. The Federal Pell Grant, CU Achieve Grant, and work-study are available in summer to eligible students. Parent PLUS and Graduate PLUS loas may also be an option. To find out how much summer financial aid you are eligible to receive, complete the Summer Financial Aid Application in Buff Portal beginning in late February.

Students receiving aid are expected to be familiar with all financial aid policies, such as the Adjustments to Financial Aid policy, Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy, Withdrawal Policy, and more.

Financial Aid Refunds

Financial aid, with the exception of work-study, will be applied directly to the your tuition and fee bill, and any funds exceeding the bill will be refunded to your bank account by direct deposit approximately three days before classes begin.

Depending on which sessions you take, financial aid refunds will be deposited around the following dates: May 7, May 26, July 2 and July 30.

Note: These dates are tentative and subject to change. Visit the Bursar’s website for the most up-to-date information. No refunds processed on June 30.

Student Employment

In addition to financial aid, you can find a student job to help offset the costs of college. Visit the Student Employment website to learn more about finding a job, employment procedures, pay ranges, and off-campus employment opportunities.

Special Populations

Certain student groups may have limited financial aid opportunities.

Nondegree students typically are not eligible for financial aid. However, if you are taking preparatory courses for a graduate program, federal loans may be available on a limited basis. For more information, you may speak to a Financial Aid counselor by calling 303-492-5091 (M-F 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM) or by asking them a question.

Additionally, nondegree students can apply for the Summer Session Nondegree Scholarship through Continuing Education.

Graduate student aid is typically limited to loans. While most grants are available to undergraduate students, graduate students may apply for some grants and assistantships depending on their academic department. They can apply for loans and scholarships.

If you are enrolling both Summer Session and courses offered through Continuing Education during the summer, limited financial aid may be available. Visit the Continuing Education & Financial Aid webpage for more information. 

For more information, visit the Summer Financial Aid page or contact the Office of Financial Aid.