Summer financial aid (including work-study) is separate from your academic year financial aid. Students interested in summer work-study will automatically be offered after completing the summer financial aid application available in Buff Portal in February each year.
Summer 2022 Aid
- Students who are planning to earn work-study after May 14, 2022 should apply for summer financial aid as soon as possible after the application becomes available in February- our funding is limited and always goes fast!
- You don't have to be enrolled in summer to receive work-study. However, if you are not taking summer classes, you must be currently enrolled in Spring 2022 and enrolled for next Fall 2022 by the first day of summer work-study on May 15, 2022.
- By May 15, 2022 the Office of Financial Aid needs to have your 2022-23 FAFSA on file AND you must demonstrate financial need in the 2022-23 academic year to qualify for summer work-study. Please plan ahead - it may take up to 2 weeks for your FAFSA to process and be sent to our office.
- Students and employers will be notified if a student cannot begin working when summer work-study begins on May 15, 2022. If students are not pre-registered for Fall 2022 courses by May 15, 2022, they won't be allowed to work. Our office will verify students' eligibility on a daily basis.
- Undergraduates enrolled less than 6 credit hours and graduate students enrolled less than 3 credit hours will be required to contribute to a Student Retirement account. Graduate students enrolled in only 1 credit hour to complete a thesis or dissertation may be exempt. In addition, student employees whose normal work schedules are 40 or more hours per week (across all jobs at the university) will also be enrolled in Student Retirement, regardless of the number of credits they're taking.
- In some cases we can give students more work-study in summer than they're technically eligible for using something called Expected Summer Savings. In these cases, we pull from next year's eligibility and allow you to earn it during summer instead. The "Expected Summer Savings" shows up as aid already paid to you on next year's award list. If you have questions about Expected Summer Savings, contact us for more info.
Change of plans? Decline your work-study offer in Buff Portal:
- Log in to Buff Portal
- Navigate to the Financial Aid card
- Select 2021-2022 from the year drop-down at the top of the card
- Click View Financial Aid. At the bottom of the card, click Accept or Decline Aid
- Check the box next to summer work-study to Decline and click Submit