We will be closed on the university holiday, March 31.
Whether you’re returning to campus or you’re just starting your journey as a Buff, I hope you’re having a great start to the spring semester.
A new semester brings new opportunities, and this time of year offers a chance to consider your goals.Take time this week to think about what you’d like to accomplish over these next few months. Maybe it’s finding a summer internship, or joining a new student organization. Perhaps you’d like to focus on your studies and improve your GPA. Whatever your goals may be, here are a few tips to help you have a positive spring semester.
Try something new
One of the best ways to grow is to step outside of your comfort zone and try new things. This may take some effort, but trying new things can often lead to new experiences, skills and even friendships.
This spring, explore opportunities that can help you both accomplish your goals and step outside your comfort zone. For example:
- If you want to focus on your academic program, consider becoming a TA or an ASAP tutor mentor.
- If you’re looking for internships, plan to attend career fairs and events this spring to meet and network with others.
- If you’re looking to make new friends, check out spring recruitment events through Fraternity and Sorority Life.
- If you’re looking for a way to spend your free time outside of class, consider volunteering. This is a great way to meet new people, gain experience for your resume and support a cause you care about. Check out the Spring Volunteer Fair on Feb. 7 to meet with local organizations and learn about opportunities.
Stepping out of your comfort zone is not always easy, but it’s often worth it.
Make time for fun
While it’s great to focus on goals and achieve new things this semester, it’s also important to have balance. As you plan around your goals, don’t forget to make time for fun and connection with others a priority as well.
Whether you’re in your first year or final year at CU Boulder, student organizations and campus events are options to add fun to your days and meet new people. I encourage you to visit the Involvement Fair on Jan. 25 to see what’s out there for you. You can also download the CU Boulder Life app or follow @CUBoulderLife on Instagram to learn about upcoming events and opportunities.
Use your resources
As you explore, there are campus resources here to help you meet your goals, try new things and find what’s right for you:
- Center for Student Involvement
- Volunteer Resource Center
- Center for Inclusion and Social Change
- Recreation Services
- Career Services
- Environmental Center
- Basic Needs Center
- Off-Campus Housing & Neighborhood Relations
- Health and Wellness Services
- Academic support and resources
I’m here for you as well and can help connect you to the right resources and opportunities based on your goals. Take care, Buffs, and let’s make this a great semester!
Acting Dean of Students and Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs