Your academic record has been carefully reviewed following the posting of grades for the Spring 2023 semester. You have not met the required 2.000 cumulative CU GPA minimum, therefore, you have been placed on academic suspension and a registration hold has been placed on your record.
Academic suspension is serious and we support your effort to improve your academic standing. Please review the options for reinstatement along with actionable next steps you can take below. For more information, view CU Boulder’s academic standing requirements.
What Happens on Academic Suspension?
As a result of academic suspension, your current Fall 2023 courses will be dropped with the exception of enrollment in Evening Credit, Online Credit, and Applied Music classes offered through the Division of Continuing Education. Note that if you remain enrolled in Continuing Education courses you will need to maintain a 2.300 semester GPA or above for each enrolled semester in Continuing Education. You will not be eligible to enroll in Main Campus courses during the fall or spring semesters until you have completed the requirements for reinstatement after academic suspension through the options explained below, which includes earning the required 2.000 cumulative CU GPA minimum or returning through conditional enrollment.
As a reminder, a registration hold related to your academic suspension status has been placed on your record and your official transcript will show that you are on academic suspension.
In addition, federal regulations require students to make satisfactory academic progress in a program of study to be eligible for financial aid. For additional information, see the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy webpage.
Options for Reinstatement after Academic Suspension
Please consider the following options available to you for raising your cumulative GPA, and view CU Boulder’s academic standing requirements for more detailed information.
- Take courses offered through Continuing Education.
- Take summer courses at any University of Colorado campus.
- Take courses at another accredited college or university.
- Take at least one calendar year off with no enrollment at any institution.
Your Next Steps
Review the following recommended next steps to learn more about your options:
- Log in to Buff Portal to view your holds for more information about your suspension status and next steps specific to your college, school or program. (Learn more about how to resolve your holds & to do items.)
- Schedule an appointment with your academic advisor/coach. Your academic advisor will help you explore your options given your individual circumstances and assist you with improving your academic standing.
- If applicable, you may view your financial aid status in Buff Portal. Students who have a ‘Suspended’ SAP status can submit an appeal form to request a reinstatement of financial aid.
- If you are an international student, contact the International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) Office immediately for guidance.
If you have questions about any of your final grades, please contact your instructor(s) immediately. Please know that you are a valued member of the CU community and we are here to support you through your academic journey.
Office of the Registrar | University of Colorado Boulder
303-492-6970 | firstname.lastname@example.org