Published: Sept. 27, 2022 By

Who Received This Email?
We sent this email at 7 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 26, 2022, to first-semester students who were approved for in-state tuition under the domicile exception for honorably discharged veterans.

Dear [first],

Congratulations on being approved for in-state tuition as an honorably discharged veteran. We want to thank you for your service and provide some information about the potential benefits of becoming a Colorado resident for tuition purposes.

Financial Benefits of Becoming a Resident

As an honorably discharged veteran, you'll be assessed the in-state tuition rate as long as you're at CU Boulder. However, if you will qualify as an adult student, act now to become a full Colorado resident and then apply for 2023–24 financial aid, you'll be considered for additional aid next school year.

Colorado residents are considered for state and CU Boulder grants, which may significantly increase your financial aid offer.

Your Next Steps to Petition for a Residency Change

Step 1: Submit Your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

If you do intend to become a Colorado resident and you haven't done so already, submit your 2023–24 FAFSA and any requested documentation. The FAFSA is available beginning Oct. 1 each year for the upcoming school year. See tips on completing the FAFSA.

Step 2: Take Action to Establish Colorado Domicile

The clock started ticking to establish Colorado domicile when you physically moved to the state. To prove your intent to make Colorado your one, true, fixed and permanent home, you're required to:

  • Get a Colorado driver's license within 120 days of moving to the state.
  • Register your vehicle (if you have one) in Colorado within 180 days of moving to the state to avoid penalties.
  • Establish additional Colorado ties by, for example, registering to vote in Colorado, paying Colorado income taxes and finding employment in Colorado.

Visit our adult residency page to learn more.

Step 3: Submit a Residency Petition

Use our residency calendars to determine the first semester for which you'd qualify for in-state residency. Once petitions open for that term, submit your residency petition with all required documentation to the Office of the Registrar by the posted deadline.

Office of the Registrar | University of Colorado Boulder
303-492-6970 (option 3) |