Published: Dec. 9, 2022
Photo of Blake

After receiving his BS in Math and Finance from UMBC and seven years in various analyst roles, current Coursera student Blake Tagget decided to take the next step in his career. After a year waiting for the program to start and completing a few early release courses, he enrolled in the online MS-DS program in April 2021. The flexibility of the program allows him to push his career forward while completing his degree. Below, he shares his experience and advice for prospective students. 

What initially drew you to this program?
Without an application, the acceptance process allowed me to build confidence without taking a large financial leap. Not only does a traditional application process take a lot of time, but because I was hesitant in where I want my career to go, this program offered the perfect solution.

Can you tell me how the MS-DS on Coursera program fits into your life?
I typically devote every other weekend and a few hours during the week to completing coursework. When I started the program I was a Data Analyst. Since starting the program I was able to transfer roles at my employer by leveraging my degree progress.

What are your favorite parts of the program?
While not program specific, I really enjoy how data science brings together my natural ability regarding data with computer science for problem solving. For me, Data + Computer Science = Data Science.

What do you hope to do with your MS-DS degree?
This degree will allow for some doors to stay open longer. Since I am already a Sr. Data Scientist in my career, this program allows me to formalize my knowledge while building on the job experience. I read somewhere that 80% of Data Scientists in the job market have Master’s Degree. While that may be changing as more undergrads enter the field, this degree is a way to keep up and potentially stay ahead of the competition on paper.

Would you recommend this program to others?
I would recommend this program with 2 strong caveats. 1) You get out what you put in. To put it bluntly, it’s easy to phone in parts of the program. and 2) The paper will not catapult your career in itself  (just like most grad programs). Focus on the content and its application to your career.

What’s one tip you have for students who are starting this program?
The program is as long or as short as you can make it. Take your time, understand its purpose in your life, and don’t burn out in the first 2 terms.