Harassment and sexual harassment can take place in many different contexts. Harrassment is unwanted contact. Sexual harrassment is unwelcome sexual attention. Harassment or sexual harassment may occur between students, faculty, staff, and administrators of any gender. It may occur when one individual holds a position of real or perceived authority over the other or between individuals of equal status. OVA is here to help you explore your options and resources whether harassment or sexual harassment has happened on or off campus, is presently happening or has taken place in the past.

If the harassment one is experiencing is related to protected class status such as race, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy, age, disability, creed, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, political affiliation, or political philosophy please go to the Experiences of Bias page for more information.

If the harassment has become a pattern of unwanted behaviors and is creating either fear or a change in regualr routine visit our Stalking page for more information.

Explore your options

For content-specific information about reporting see below. For general information about reporting and the possibilities of working with systems visit our reporting page or visit OIEC's Don't Ignore It website.


If you are being harassed by another individual, reporting the behavior to the police is an option. Reporting can take many forms and doesn’t necessarily have to lead to the filing of criminal charges. Some people simply want to file an “informational” report with the intention of making the police aware of their situation without pursuing charges. Other people are interested in having the police contact the person and give a verbal warning. At the same time, many people choose to file criminal charges.This might include getting names of witnesses, saving emails, text messages or voice messages related to the incident as well as taking pictures of injuries, damage, graffiti or supporting materials. You can also get copies of relevant medical records. If an arrest is made and you would like to be notified when the perpetrator/suspect is released from jail please sign up for Vine notifications. OVA can talk with you about reporting options and be an advocate for you throughout the process.

Please note: if you are currently in or had a previous dating relationship with the person who is harrassing you the police may classify it as intimate partner violence and if so may make an arrest due to the Colorado mandatory arrest law in cases of domestic violence/ intimate partner abus

Reporting to CU's Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance

If you experienced sexual harassment by a CU student, faculty, or staff member, you can report to the Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance (OIEC). OIEC can address concerns through a formal investigation or an informal process (which does not include an investigation but focuses on intervention to stop the behavior). In cases of a finding of a policy violation OIEC will put sanctions in place through the university. OIEC’s process is separate from the criminal justice system and is administrative through the university. In some cases OIEC may need to make a limited report to the police. In addition to conducting investigations, OIEC can also provide interim and remedial measures including no contact orders, academic remedial measures, and more. To learn more about OIEC’s process and procedures please go to their website. To file a report you can contact OIEC directly at 303-492-2127, complete an online report, or work with the Office of Victim Assistance to provide advocacy in the reporting process. If you are unsure about reporting, please contact OVA and we can talk through the OIEC process with you confidentially to assist you in your decision making process.

Reporting to CU's Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution

If you experienced harassment by a CU student, you can report to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR). OSCCR has an informal and formal resolution process and can put no contact orders in place. In cases of a formal process that a violation of the student code of conduct was found, OSCCR will put in place sanctions through the university. Please go to the OSCCR website to learn more about the OSCCR process. To make a report to OSCCR please contact OSC directly at 303-492-5550, make an online report, or contact OVA for advocacy in the reporting process. In addition OSCCR offers opportunities for conflict resolution and restorative justice. If you are unsure about reporting, please contact OVA and we can talk through the OSCC process with you confidentially to assist you in your decision making process.

*If you experienced harassment by a CU student, faculty, or staff member that is related to protected class status, please go to the Experiences of Bias page for more infomration on reporting options.

Confidential Reporting to the Office of Victim Assistance

Click here to make a confidential report to the Office of Victim Assistance (OVA). This report will only be seen by a confidential advocate counselor at OVA. This report does not notify the university and no investigative action will be taken. If you would like an OVA confidential advocate counselor to contact you please include your contact information and an OVA confidential advocate counselor will outreach to you directly. OVA is here to be a resource to you.

Experiencing harassment or sexual harassment can take a toll on ones day to day life and impact can vary. Practicing self care and reaching out for support can make a difference. Informal support such as friends, family, and colleagues can be a great resource. In addition, OVA is free and confidential and here to be a resource for counseling support, advocacy, informing one of their rights and options, and providing information, referrals, and consultation on additional campus and community resources.  Some things you might discuss when meeting with OVA include:

  • figuring out what you feel and think about what’s going on.
  • getting information that will help you assess the situation, and figure out what you want.
  • discussing your rights and reporting options.
  • talking about how to manage academics, or work given the situation.
  • talking about making a safety plan if applicable.
  • getting medical treatment if you have injuries or are worried about your health.
  • changing where you live to get some space or safety.
  • discussing self-care and coping skills.

*If seeking support from a CU community member in a supervisory role, ask if they are a Responsible Employee and if they have any limits to keeping the information you are sharing with them private. If you wish to not have the information shared with the Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance consider reaching out to a confidential resource such as OVA.

If the harassment or sexual harassment you are experiencing is affecting your living environment, OVA can discuss options for a change of housing.

If you are worried about how this situation may be impacting your schoolwork, OVA is here to help. You deserve to be in school and to meet your goals. OVA can discuss options for managing academic issues while maintaining privacy. There are concrete things the University can do to help with your situation.

A protection order is a legal document obtained through the courts that puts restrictions on individuals who may be dangerous to you. If they violate these restrictions they can be sanctioned by the court. If you have questions about obtaining a protection order you can talk to a confidential OVA advocate counselor, call the Boulder Protective Order Clinic at 303-441-4867, contact Safehouse Progressive Alliance for Nonviolence, or go to the Colorado Judicial Branch Protection Order website.