How do I make an appointment?

Click on "About" or on the blue "About the Program" icon on the MFLP home page.

Click on "Eligibility Process - First Steps".

Click after Step 1"Complete and Submit the Intake Form".  Please fill out and submit this form before moving to STEP 2.

Click after Step 2"Schedule your Intake Interview".  Locate one or two available days and times that work for you and then email your requests to  Please offer as many times as you can to increase your chances for a timely intake interview as there may be a delay in removing available time slots from the calendar, especially during busier weeks in the semester.

Someone from the MFLP will respond via email with confirmation for your appointment.


How do I schedule eligibility testing?

You must have completed your initial intake interview in order to schedule your foreign language aptitude screening.

Click after Step 3: "Schedule your Eligibility Testing".  Locate several days and times on the calendar and email your preferred testing times.  Please allow a minimum of 2 hours to complete the testing.

Someone from the MFLP will reply via email confirming your testing time.

How do I pay for testing?

You may pay with check, credit card or cash for your eligibility screening.

If paying by check, you may bring your check to the testing appointment.  Please make check payable to University of Colorado.

If paying by credit card, please click the link to fee payment on the right hand side of the black navigation bar above and follow the instructions.

If paying by cash, you must complete payment prior to your appointment and provide the carbon of your reciept of payment at the time of testing.  Please email to arrange for cash payments at least a day prior to your testing appointment.

Note:  If you qualify for financial aid, Please visit the Financial Aid Office to meet with a Coordinator to determine if you are eligible for a fee waiver.  If you have not already filled out a FAFSA form to determine your eligibility, it is a quick process and may result in your receiving a full or partial waiver of the fee.

How do I register for the synchronous hybrid modified class?

Upon eligibility notification, you will receive an application for this extraordinary class offered through Continuing Education.

You must submit the application form with tuition payment directly to the Office of Continuing Education located at 1505 University Avenue.

How do I enroll in a modified foreign language class?

Upon eligibility notification, you will receive an email with instructions on how to enroll in the class.  Enrollment for these classes is conducted face-to-face and cannot be accomplished via the online registration portal.

What is FERPA?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

Please visit the website for the Office of the Registrar for the full definition of FERPA:

    The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education. FERPA deals specifically with the education records of students, affording them certain rights with respect to those records. For purposes of definition, education records are those records which are:

    • Directly related to a student, and
    • Maintained by an institution or a party acting for the institution.

    FERPA gives students who reach the age of 18 or who attend a post-secondary institution the right to inspect and review their own education records. Furthermore, the right to request amendment of records and to have some control over the disclosure of personally identifiable information from these records shifts from the parent to the student at this time.

    FERPA applies to the education records of persons who are or have been in attendance in post-secondary institutions, including students in cooperative and correspondence study programs, video conference, satellite, internet or other electronic forms. FERPA does not apply to records of applicants for admission who are denied acceptance or, if accepted, do not attend an institution.

    he Office of the Registrar is responsible for administering the FERPA guidelines at the University of Colorado Boulder.


    Educational Records

    Those records directly related to a student and maintained by the institution or by a party acting for the institution are considered education records. The term "education records" does not include the following:

    Records of instructional, supervisory, administrative, and certain educational information that is in the sole possession of the maker thereof, and are not accessible or revealed to any other individual except a substitute who performs on a temporary basis (as defined in the institutional personnel policy) the duties of the individual who made the records.

    Records maintained by a law enforcement unit of the educational agency or institution that were created by that law enforcement unit for the purpose of law enforcement.

    Records relating to individuals who are employed by the institution, which are made and maintained in the normal course of business, relate exclusively to individuals in their capacity as employees, and are not available for use for any other purpose. Records of individuals who are employed as a result of their status as students (for example, work study students) are education records.

    Records relating to a student which are:

    • Created or maintained by a physician, psychiatrist, psychologist, or other recognized professional or paraprofessional, acting in his/her professional capacity or assisting in a paraprofessional capacity or assisting in a paraprofessional capacity.

    • Used solely in connection with the provision of treatment to the student.

    • Not disclosed to anyone other than individuals providing such treatment.

    Where do I petition for a Cultural Course Substitution?

    Cultural Course Substitutions are granted through the Office of Disability Services.  Due to the unique opportunity afforded University of Colorado baccalaureate degree seeking students with the Modified Foreign Language Program (MFLP), the majority of our students find that they can finally be successful in foreign language classes to complete the foreign language MAPS requirement for graduation.  If you feel that your situation and documentation warrant accommodations for the foreign language requirement, your first step is to submit a petition to Disability Services.  If your petition is denied, the Office of Disability Services will refer you back to the MFLP to discuss options for completing your requirement.

    You may find a link to the Disability Services website in the Resources section of this site.

    Advising FAQs


    For any questions about your major and/or minor requirements, please contact your advisor.