We have multiple funded Ph.D. student positions for Summer and Fall 2021.
We are always looking for highly motivated individuals, who are interested in cutting-edge modeling and simulation technologies, as well as their applications in the optimal design and operation of smart, sustainable and resilient buildings, communities and cities. Some of the research projects are
- Explore multi-scale modeling technique for future smart and connected cities using the equation-based Modelica language and building upon our open source Smart and Connected Community (SCC) Modelica library and apply it to the communities in Colorado;
- Develop and perform field test of advanced control strategies for grid-interactive resilient communities expanding upon our open source Net Zero Energy Community (NZEC) Modelica library based on a real-world net zero energy community in Florida;
- Create open source Modelica models for the optimal design of grid-interactive efficient district energy system;
- Investigate holistic building system modeling and control based on our open source end-to-end data center cooling system modeling and optimization package;
- Invent smart sensor networks and machine learning methods to modernize cities via smart garden alleys with application in Indonesia.
What can we offer?
We have developed a system for training and mentoring, including a personalized career development plan and a dedicated student mentor, to ensure that all of our Ph.D. graduates will have:
- deep knowledge in your specific area, which is evidenced by publishing at least 4 first-author papers at top journals.
- broad vision about other related research area, which is evidenced by co-authoring multiple journal papers with lab mates.
- multi-disciplinary background in physical systems, software engineering and numerical analysis. Many of our projects are related to developing open source publicly released software for the energy efficient buildings and communities. Our students will become experts in both physical system and software development.
- extensive collaboration with other universities, DOE national labs (e.g., ANL, NREL, LBNL, LLNL, ORNL, PNNL), and companies.
- excellent communication skills in both writing and presenting.
- good management skills including project management, recruitment, and mentoring new Ph.D. students.
- experience in grant propsoal development. Many SBS lab students have helped securing external grants from National Science Foundation and US Department of Energy.
What do we expect?
We expect the applicants have strong interests in computer modeling and simulation as this is our main research focus. In addition, we expect the following from our applicants:
- devoted to research and work hard
- solid background in Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science
- research experience with tangible outcome (e.g. publications)
- willing and be able to learn new knowledge quickly
- work independently in a team environment
- good English verbal and written communication skills
- programming experience (e.g. C/C++, Modelica, Matlab, Python)
- previous research experience in modeling and simulation is preferred, but not required
How to Apply?
Due to the interdisciplinary nature in our research, Dr. Zuo can admit graduate students from three different programs in the Department of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engieering:
In addition, we can also admit graduate students from Department of Mechanical Engineering.
To start your applicaiton, please click the link to depratment's graduate program webpage: Department of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engieering or Department of Mechanical Engineering. The webpage has detailed information about the department's requirements, application procedure and link to gradaute school's application portal where you can submit your application. Each program has its own research focuses, requirements for admission and graduation. Please read them carefully before you select the program in your application. In your personal statement, please indicate that you want to work with Dr. Zuo so that your application will be brought to our attention.
If you have any questions about your application, please feel free to contact Dr. Zuo or any of our members.