The Gold Plan is a comprehensive health insurance plan that provides coverage for services on campus through CU Boulder Medical Services as well as local and national coverage.
Plan Year 2018 - 2019
- Below is information for students enrolled in the Gold Plan for 2018-19. You can also download the 2018-2019 insurance brochure.
- Download a temporary ID Card here
- Access your digital ID card by visiting the MyAmeriBen website and create an account as follows:
- Under Sign Up, click Member
- Read and accept the licensing agreement
- Confirm your identity and create a login using your student ID number
- Coverage for services provided by Medical Services
- Local and national coverage (copays, deductible and coinsurance apply)
- Prescription benefit
- Out-of-pocket maximum of $5,000 for in-network and $10,000 for out-of-network per plan year
- Unlimited policy maximum
- The plan is underwritten by Aetna and administered by AmeriBen
- Summary of Benefits
Eligible students must actively attend classes for at least the first 31 days after the date for which coverage is purchased.
- Degree-seeking undergraduate students enrolled in six or more credit hours and graduate students enrolled in one credit hour or more are eligible and are automatically enrolled in the Gold Plan.
- Non-degree seeking Continuing Education students enrolled in six or more credit hours, Study Abroad (including Semester at Sea) students, Evening MBA students and students enrolled exclusively in Be Boulder Anywhere course and paying the base student fee and Wardenburg Health Center fees, may be eligible to enroll in the Gold Plan and must do so by visiting Wardenburg Health Center.
- Students approved for the Leave of Absence Program are eligible to enroll in the Gold Plan for one semester that they are not registered for classes and must do so by visiting Wardenburg Health Center.
Spouse and dependent coverage is not available on the Gold Plan.
- Fall 2018
August 18, 2018 - December 31, 2018
- Spring/Summer 2019
January 1, 2019 - August 17, 2019
- Summer 2019 Only
May 1, 2019 - August 17, 2019
Note: Enrolling in the Gold Plan for fall and spring semesters provides a full year of coverage. Spring coverage extends through August 17, 2019 regardless of whether the student graduates in May or takes summer classes.The premium will be included on your tuition bill each semester.
No copay or deductible for covered services provided by Medical Services including:
- Primary and preventive care
- Physical exam
- Treatment for illnesses and injuries
- Travel health services excluding specialty travel immunizations
- Routine vaccinations
- Allergy shots antigen not provided by health center
- Nutrition counseling for a variety of concerns
Lab & X-Ray
- Coverage for lab services ordered and managed by a Medical Services provider
- Coverage for x-ray services
Counseling and Psychiatry
- 14 counseling and psychiatry visits per policy year including:
- Individual counseling
- Couples counseling
- Medication management
- Crisis care
- 20 counseling and psychiatry visits with a provider in the community at a $20 copay
- Unlimited group therapy
- 50% coverage of psychological testing ordered by a Medical Services provider; subject to availability
Physical Therapy and Integrative Care
- 25 physical therapy visits per policy year
- 10 chiropractic visits per policy year
- Orthopedic surgeon consultations
Note: CU Sports Medicine at the Champion Center is not part of CU Boulder Medical Services.
Sexual and Reproductive Health
- Annual exam
- Sexually transmitted infection testing and treatment
- Gynecology services
- Birth control consultations
- Transgender patient care and hormone therapy
Please note: Students who require a higher level of care than we can provide will be referred to an outside provider and the deductible and coinsurance will apply.
A referral from a Medical Services provider is required for coverage off campus. Please contact Student Health Insurance and Referrals at 303-492-5107 before scheduling an appointment with a specialist and for information about exceptions to the referral requirement. This plan also includes international coverage.
- $20 copay per mental health visit (copays do not apply to the deductible)
- $40 copay per other health visit (copays do not apply to the deductible)
- A $500 deductible per person per policy year will apply for some office visit procedures; surgeries; imaging such as MRIs, ultrasounds, and CTs; and lab services.
- Coinsurance applies once the deductible is met; patient pays 20 percent up to a $5,000 out-of-pocket maximum per policy year
- For a complete list of in-network providers visit www.aetna.com/asa
- A $1,000 deductible per person per policy year will apply.
- Coinsurance applies once the deductible is met; patient pays 50 percent up to a $10,000 out-of-pocket maximum per policy year
The Gold Plan prescription benefits have changed. You will need to provide new insurance information to your pharmacy. Ameriben sent an email to all Gold-insured students in September, giving students access to their electronic insurance card. If you wish to obtain a paper card, please call Ameriben at 855-639-8676. A temporary insurance card is available online by phone or email at 303-492-5107/ firstname.lastname@example.org.
Certain medication can be dispensed in a 90-day supply through the Wardenburg Apothecary. Please be aware that a 90-day supply is not allowed at outside pharmacies without an over-ride.
More information about prescription drug coverage and costs.
Mail order information and instructions:
Save time and skip the line with the Aetna Rx Home Delivery pharmacy. Gold Plan members can request their prescriptions to be mailed. Make a request online or print and send in an order form.
If you have been using the specialty pharmacy to fill your prescriptions, this service will change. Please contact Ameriben directly at 855-480-4161 for instructions on how to obtain these specialty medications.
The Gold Plan includes:
- Hormone therapy available through Dr. Ann Mattson located in the Sexual and Reproductive Health Clinic. This benefit is also available through in-network providers outside of Wardenburg, for which a referral may be necessary.
- Mental health counseling and pre-approval letters available through Counseling and Psychiatric Services. This benefit is also available through in-network providers outside of Wardenburg, for which a referral may be necessary.
- Gender Confirmation Surgery Benefit Information. For an explanation of this benefit, contact Student Health Insurance and Referrals.
- Gender Confirmation Procedural Benefit Codes. For an explanation of this benefit, contact Student Health Insurance and Referrals.
Gender Confirmation Surgery and Related Therapy Eligible Expenses include:
- mental health counseling;
- hormone replacement therapy;
- sexual reassignment surgery:
- for female to male: mastectomy, hysterectomy, salpingo-oophorectomy, vaginectomy, metoidioplasty, scrotoplasty, urethroplasty, placement of testicular prosthesis, phalloplasty; or
- male to female: orchiectomy, penectomy, vaginoplasty, clitoroplasty, labiaplasty, breast augmentation.
Students who would like to learn more about accessing their gender confirmation benefits can contact our Ameriben representative, Jennifer Barr, at 1-208-947-9519 or email@example.com.
The Student Health Insurance and Referrals department is also available to answer questions at 303-492-5107.
For more information, see transgender and gender affirming care at Medical Services.
- $75 copay per urgent care visit; coinsurance will apply
- $150 copay per emergency room visit; deductible and coinsurance will apply
- $200 charge for hospitalization per admission; deductible and coinsurance will apply
Annual Eye Exam
Gold Plan students are entitled to one routine eye exam per policy year at no additional cost through College Optical in Boulder. This includes visual fields testing, glaucoma screening, refraction, and a dilated exam if needed.
Contact lens fittings, and medical eye care services are available at an additional fee to the patient. Eyeglass frame and lenses are offered at a discount to students with the CU Gold plan.
College Optical: 303-444-3092 | College Optical website
Aetna Vision Discount Program
Gold Plan students are enrolled in the Aetna Vision Discount Program which provides discounts on glasses, contacts and LASIK with participating providers.
See a complete list of participating providers.
Annual Dental Exam, Cleaning and X-Ray
Gold Plan students are entitled to one dental exam, cleaning* and x-ray per policy year at no additional cost through PERFECT TEETH™.
PERFECT TEETH™ Locations:
*Cleaning will be done in the absence of periodontal disease.
PERFECT TEETH™ Discount Plan
Gold Plan students are entitled to receive additional dental services at the same discounted rates available through the PERFECT TEETH Dental Plan. These expenses are the patient’s responsibility.
For more information visit the PERFECT TEETH™ Dental Plan website
Accidental Injury to Sound Natural Teeth and Removal of Impacted Wisdom Teeth
Limited benefits for these services are covered by the Gold Plan. Please provide your Gold Health Insurance Card to the dental provider for billing purposes.
Contact Student Health Insurance and Referrals at 303-492-5107 for questions relating to benefit limits and patient financial responsibility.