The University of Colorado Max Kade German Room serves as a state-of-the-art classroom and as a cultural facility and meeting space for the CU German Program. Cultural and academic events held in the room include the annual CU-Cornell-Johns Hopkins Graduate Student Colloquium and the biennial "Conversations in the Mountains" symposium. The room was made possible by a generous grant from the Max Kade Foundation in New York in 2008. It was officially opened in spring 2010, and is located in McKenna Languages Building room 112.
Max Kade (1882-1967) left Schwäbisch Hall, Germany, for Montreal in 1904, and he later moved to New York. Together with a friend, he purchased the American rights to manufacture and distribute the cough medicine Pertussin in 1907. In 1944, he and his wife Annette established the Max Kade Foundation in New York. The Max Kade Foundation promotes mutual understanding between Germany and the United States. It has supported the building of dormitories, libraries, and academic meeting places, in addition to providing scholarships and graduate fellowships. At CU, the Max Kade Foundation supports three graduate fellowships in our German Studies graduate program, as well as study abroad scholarships for undergraduate students wishing to study in Germany. We are grateful for the Max Kade Foundation’s support.