Are you a current CU Boulder student interested in switching majors into the School of Education?
This page can help guide you through the university's intra-university transfer (IUT) process, which assists current students in changing or adding to their CU Boulder major and/or minor.
What We Require
2.5 college GPA
We also look for:
- Demonstrated passion for justice and equity
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse populations
- Demonstrated experience working with youth or in community leadership and organizing
24 college credits completed or in progress
AP, IB and dual enrollment not included.
Application Tips and Directions
We recommend that students interested in pursuing a School of Education program request an appointment with a School of Education academic advisor at their earliest convenience. Academic advisors can help students explore their interests and navigate paths toward their goals as educators and other community leaders, from teacher licensure in elementary or secondary education to the Leadership and Community Engagement major to minor programs.
Undergraduate students interested in declaring a minor may declare either the Education Minor or the Leadership Studies Minor by filling out the appropriate form. Undergraduate students interested in a major or licensure program should complete the university's intra-university transfer (IUT) application and must meet with a School of Education advisor before their application will be processed (exception: music education students already in the College of Music's Bachelor of Music Education program).
Elementary Education Major
Students interested in applying to the Elementary Education BA and teacher licensure program will select the "CHANGE" option on the intra-university transfer application. We do not recommend that students double-major with Elementary Education. Students wishing to do so should discuss the implications with their School of Education academic advisor and clearly indicate that intent in their application. In addition to the IUT application, Elementary Education applicants must submit an essay addressing the questions below:
- Why do you want to become an elementary teacher and why now?
- Why do you hope to enroll specifically in CU Boulder’s Elementary Education BA program—a program that includes coursework required for an elementary teaching license and an endorsement in Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Education?
- How do you think your personal background, accomplishments, or achievements will contribute to the School of Education’s equity mission and the program’s commitment to social justice education?
- Describe your experiences working with culturally and linguistically diverse children. What have you learned from these experiences (About yourself? About the world?)
- How do you see yourself contributing to equity and justice in your profession after completing the BA in Elementary Education program?
- Is there any additional information that may aid the selection committee in evaluating your preparation for the BA in Elementary Education program?
Undergraduate students interested in pursuing secondary licensure in English, social studies, math, science, or Spanish will select the "ADD" option on the intra-university transfer application. Secondary licensure is pursued in conjunction with a different BA program related to the content area in which the student wishes to be licensed. Options will be discussed in students' pre-application meetings with School of Education academic advisors. In addition to the IUT application, secondary licensure applicants must submit an essay addressing the questions below:
Please attach a personal statement of 1000 words that addresses each point.
- Why you want to become a (level/subject) teacher and why now
- Description of a powerful learning experience in your life and how it might inform your own teaching in the future
- Reflection on personal strengths (e.g. intellectual passion, academic abilities, disposition to work with youth and professional colleagues) and lived experiences that you will build upon to reach and teach all learners
Leadership and Community Engagement Major
Leadership and Community Engagement is a dual-degree program, which also requires completion of a BA in a major in the College of Arts and Sciences.
Students applying to the Leadership and Community Engagement major who have already declared an Arts and Sciences major will select the "ADD" option on the intra-university transfer application. Students who are applying to Leadership and Community Engagement from Exploratory Studies (XXES), Arts and Sciences Open Option (XXAS), or from a college other than Arts and Sciences will choose the "CHANGE" option on the intra-university transfer application. These students will work with their School of Education academic advisor to select and add an appropriate Arts and Sciences major.
All Leadership and Community Engagement applicants must also submit an essay addressing the questions below:
- What is your motivation for participating in your community?'
- What public issue do you care most about?
2a. What is your personal connection to this issue?
2b. What type of public project might you develop to address this issue as a Leadership and Community and Engagement?
Music students applying to K-12 licensure should select the "ADD" option on the intra-university transfer application. Students must already be in the College of Music's Bachelor of Music Education program to be eligible to apply to the School of Education for K-12 licensure. Music education students need not submit an additional essay as part of their application.
The School of Education follows the campus-wide application deadlines as detailed on the Office of Undergraduate Education IUT webpage and detailed below. However, due to the structure of School of Education programs, the emphasis on fieldwork, and the need for individualized advising, we strongly recommend that you apply by the registration access deadlines during the fall (October 1) and spring (March 1).
IUT application open dates:
- IUT Applications open at 12 a.m. MT on September 15 and February 15
IUT change/add registration access dates:
- January 5, 11:59 p.m. MT: Spring Registration Access or Admission
- May 10, 11:59 p.m. MT: Summer Admission
- August 15, 11:59 p.m. MT: Fall Admission
IUT change/add final dates:
- First day of classes for each term