An Intra-University Transfer (IUT) allows current undergraduate students to change, add, or drop a degree program involving two different colleges/schools/programs within CU Boulder. The information included on the IUT webpage will assist you before, during, and after your IUT process. If you have any questions, please contact IUT@colorado.edu.
- IUT CHANGE: Switch your current major for a major in a new college/school/program
- IUT ADD: Keep your current major and add a second major in a new college/school/program
- IUT DROP: Keep one and drop one of your current majors in two different colleges/schools/programs
Intra-University Transfer (IUT) First Steps:
- Learn about your IUT college/school/program
- Meet with your current academic advisor
- Learn more about your intended IUT college/school/program
- Click on the "Meet with a Different Advisor" tile in Buff Portal Advising
- Research IUT Requirements
- Consider how an IUT might alter your student status and graduation timeline
- Understand the financial implications of an IUT
- Explore your future interests and goals
- Visit Career Services
- Learn about the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP)
- Explore Education Abroad
IUT Change/Add Application Requirements
The Intra-University Transfers (IUT) process to change or add a major typically include credit, course, and GPA requirements that might take multiple semesters to complete. Please visit the IUT webpage of your intended college/school/program to learn more. Find the IUT Application and IUT Application Deadlines on the sidebars on this webpage.
School/College/Program IUT Webpages
IUT Drop Application Requirements
Intra-University Transfer (IUT) Drop Applications only require you to enrollment in a double degree program in two DIFFERENT colleges/schools/programs. Keep in mind that the date you decide to drop your degree may impact your tuition charges and graduation timeline. Seniors applying for an IUT Drop after the deadline for their graduation term, should work with their academic advisor AND submit an IUT Drop Application for any program they will not complete before graduation. Find the IUT Drop Application and deadlines in the sidebar on this webpage.
Complete the IUT Application by the deadline corresponding to your desired term of enrollment by logging into the IUT Application with your CU Boulder credentials. The IUT Application cannot be saved or accessed after submission. If you have trouble accessing the IUT Application please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) at the bottom of this webpage.
The Intra-University Transfer (IUT) Change/Add Application deadlines differ from the IUT Drop Application. It is STRONGLY recommended that you apply by the "IUT Registration Access Deadlines" for the opportunity to enroll in restricted courses (when available), and for full consideration of their IUT Application. If you are interested in fall registration, you should apply for "On Track" or "Admitted" status by the March 1 deadline to register for restricted courses (when available) during your regular enrollment appointment. Please see the "IUT Dates & Deadlines" side panel on this webpage for more information.
IUT Admissions Timeline
When you submit your IUT Application, a confirmation landing webpage will open. You should receive a confirmation email to your @colorado.edu email. If you do not see the confirmation page and/or do not receive a confirmation email, there may have been an error with your submission. If you have questions or concerns about your IUT Application submission or processing time, please email IUT@colorado.edu.Please note: IUT Application processing times vary. Please do not resubmit your IUT Application unless directed.
Depending on your intended college/school/program, you may receive additional correspondence in regard to your IUT admission and next steps. Please continue to check your @colorado email regularly.
IUT Application Status Definitions
- ACCEPTED: If you already meet all IUT course/grade/GPA requirements, your application will be approved, and you will be admitted to the college/school/program (on a space-available basis).
- ON TRACK: If you apply by October 1st, March 1st, or June 1st, are completing the balance of your required IUT coursework this term, and you meet all other IUT course/grade/GPA requirements - you will be eligible to register for restricted courses (when available). Please note that the "On Track" application status is granted on a space-available basis, and may not be applicable to all colleges/schools/programs.
- If you meet all IUT requirements at the end of the semester, your IUT application will be approved, and you will be admitted to the college/school/program.
- If you do NOT meet all IUT requirements at the end of the semester, your IUT application will be denied, and you will be removed from major/college/school/program restricted courses.
- DEFERRED: If you do not meet the "On Track" criteria and/or do not apply by the Registration Access Deadline, you will not be eligible for the on-time course registration for major/college/school/program restricted courses. Your IUT application will be reviewed at the end of the semester for a final IUT decision.
- DENIED: If you do not meet the "On Track" criteria and will not be able to meet the IUT requirements at the end of the semester, your application will be denied.
IUT Final Application Decision
You can receive an admission decision any time after you submit an IUT Application. If you were granted "On Track" or "Deferred" status at the time of submission, make sure to check back after grades are submitted for the term, to receive your final admissions decision of "Accepted" or "Denied."
- If you were admitted: Congratulations. Your new college/school/program will inform you of next steps and help you plan future semesters.
- Please continue to meet with your current assigned academic advisor for petitions, even though your major change is reflected in Buff Portal and Buff Portal Advising.
- If you were denied: There are lots of options at the University of Colorado Boulder. Reach out to your current academic advisor to discuss next steps or a parallel degree plan.
Please try the following possible solutions:
- Find the IUT Application on the general IUT webpage, located on a gray sidebar
- Access the IUT Application between the hours of 8am-5pm MT.
- It is possible that you tried to access the application while the system was undergoing maintenance.
- Open a different web browser to access your IUT Application
- Clear your cache and cookies in your browser settings.
- Log into the CU Boulder Virtual Private Network (VPN), if you are off campus
If you are still unable to access the application at this point, please email IUT@colorado.edu to explore other options.
- IUT Application Spring Term Closure: 2nd Day of the Spring Term/Spring Census - February 15th
- IUT Application Fall Term Closure: 2nd Day of the Fall Term/Fall Census - September 15th
for a few from the day after the first day of classes/census to September 15th/ (Spring) February 15th (Summer/Fall), depending on the college/school/program and the term of IUT Application.
IUT Dates & Deadlines
IUT Application Status
Major Changes (Within the SAME College/School/Program)
Incoming first-year and transfer students do NOT need an Intra-University Transfer (IUT) Application until AFTER their first day of classes.
If you will not meet the IUT Requirements by the end of the term, please wait to apply until you have met the “On Track” and/or IUT Requirements for your intended college/school/program.
- Make an appointment with your current academic advisor or Ralphie's Advising Help Lab
- Schedule an IUT Appointment or Attend an IUT Workshop
- Click on the "Meet with a Different Advisor" tile in Buff Portal Advising