An Intra-University Transfer (IUT) allows current undergraduate students to change, add, or drop a degree program involving two different colleges/schools/programs within CU Boulder.
- IUT Change: Switch your current major for a major in a new college/school/program
- IUT Add: Keep your current major and add a second major in a new college/school/program
- IUT Drop: Keep one and drop one of your current majors in two different college/school/programs
Below is a guide to help you before, during, and after your IUT process. If you have any questions, please contact IUT@colorado.edu.
Students requesting to change, add, or drop a major, minor, or certificate within their current college/school/program, should meet with their academic advisor. For more information, visit the Office of the Registrar website.
If you are considering an Intra-University Transfer (IUT), please complete the following steps:
- Learn about your IUT college/school/program to understand the course and GPA expectations
- Meet with your current Academic Advisor to discuss how an IUT relates to your personal and academic goals
- Schedule an IUT Appointment or Attend an IUT Workshop to discuss specific IUT requirements for your intended college/school/program
- Consider how an IUT might alter your student status and graduation timeline
- Student Veteran and Veteran Dependants: Visit Veteran and Military Affairs to discuss IUTs and requirements
- International Students: Visit International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) to discuss IUTs and your visa status
- Student Athletes: Visit the Herbst Academic Center to discuss IUTs and your eligibility
- Understand the financial implications of an IUT, including how your IUT deadline affects your tuition charges for current and future terms
- Explore your future and professional goals and how they relate to your IUT college/school/program
- Visit Career Services to learn about internships and future careers
- Learn about the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP)
- Explore Education Abroad to find international internship and study abroad programs
Intra-University Transfer (IUT) Change/Add Application Requirements
Intra-University Transfer (IUT) Applications to change or add a major typically include credit, course, and GPA requirements. Keep in mind that fulfilling your IUT requirements can take multiple semesters. Please visit the websites below to learn more about the specific IUT requirements, processes, and deadlines. The IUT Change/Add Application and the IUT Change/Add Application Deadlines can be found in the sidebar on this web page.
School, College, and Program IUT Websites
Intra-University Transfers (IUT) Drop Application Requirements
Intra-University Transfer (IUT) Applications to drop a major only require that students are enrolled in a double degree program in two DIFFERENT colleges/schools/programs. Keep in mind that the date you decide to complete your IUT Drop Application may impact your tuition charges and graduation. Seniors applying for an IUT Drop after the deadline for their graduation term should work with their Academic Advisor AND complete an IUT Drop Application for any degree/licensure they will not complete before graduation. The IUT Drop Application and the IUT Drop Application Deadlines can be found in the sidebar on this web page.
It is STRONGLY recommended that all students apply by the "IUT Registration Access Deadlines" for the opportunity to enroll in restricted courses (when available) and for full consideration of their IUT Application. Please see the "IUT Application Deadlines" sidepanel on this webpage for more information.
Intra-University Transfer (IUT) Admissions Timeline
When you submit your IUT Application, you will be directed to a confirmation landing page and you should receive a confirmation email within 5 minutes to your @colorado.edu email address. If you do not see the confirmation page and/or receive a confirmation email, there may have been an error when you submitted your IUT Application. If you have questions or concerns about your application submission, please email IUT@colorado.edu
Please note: Application processing times vary greatly based on a variety of factors. If you received an email confirming receipt of your application and you are concerned about the amount of time it has taken to process your application, please do not resubmit your IUT Application unless directed.
Depending on the college, school, or program you apply to, you may receive multiple correspondence in regards to your IUT admission and next steps. Please continue to check your @colorado email regularly.
Intra-University Transfer (IUT) Application Status Definitions
- ACCEPTED: If you already meet all IUT course/grade/GPA requirements, your application will be approved and you will be admitted to the college/school/program.
- ON TRACK: If you apply by October 1st, February 1st, or June 1st, are completing the balance of your required IUT coursework this term, and you meet all other IUT course/grade/GPA requirements - you will be eligible to register for restricted courses (when available). Please note that the "On Track" process may not be applicable to all colleges/schools/programs.
- If you meet all IUT requirements at the end of the semester, your IUT application will be approved and you will be admitted to the college/school/program.
- If you do NOT meet all IUT requirements at the end of the semester, your IUT application will be denied and you will be removed from major/college/school/program restricted courses.
- DEFERRED: If you do not meet the "On Track" criteria and/or do not apply by the Registration Access Deadline, you will not be eligible for the on-time course registration for major/college/school/program restricted courses. Your IUT application will be reviewed at the end of the semester for a final IUT decision.
- DENIED: If you do not meet the "On Track" criteria and will not be able to meet the IUT requirements at the end of the semester, your application will be denied
Intra-University Transfer (IUT) Final Application Decision
Students can receive admissions decisons any time after they submit an IUT Application. If you were granted "On Track" or "Deferred" status at the time you submitted your IUT Application, make sure to check back after grades are submitted for the term to recieve your final IUT Application decision of "Accepted" or "Denied."
- If you were admitted: Congratulations! The college/school/program you have been accepted to will inform you of next steps and help you plan future semesters.
- Though you will see your change immediately reflected in Buff Portal and Buff Portal Advising, please be aware that you will still need to meet with your assigned advisor in the program you are leaving for petitions such as late drops or retroactive withdrawals.
- If you were not admitted: There are lots of options at the University of Colorado Boulder! Reach out to your current advisor to discuss next steps or a parallel degree plan.
To access the IUT Application, try clearing your cache and cookies in your browser settings or try accessing your application from a different browser.
The Intra-University Transfer (IUT) Application is only for students wishing to change, add, or drop a major in two DIFFERENT college/school/programs. Students requesting to change, add, or drop a major, minor, or certificate within their current college/school/program, should meet with their academic advisor. For more information, visit the Office of the Registrar website.
Incoming first-year and transfer students should not complete an Intra-University Transfer (IUT) Application until after their first day of classes.
The Intra-University Transfer (IUT) Application on this website is only available for current CU Boulder undergraduate students.