(Math, Science, and Engineering only)
The Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Program was created in 1986 to encourage outstanding students to pursue careers in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering and to foster excellence in these fields. A strong candidate will have had the opportunity to participate in research, either at his or her institution, in local industry, or in a national research facility. Abilities and potential are also shown through meeting significant responsibilities, involvement in science-related organizations, and accomplishments outside the classroom.
- Campus Deadline: Mid-Novemeber
- Term: Students may be awarded funding for up to two years of undergraduate work.
- Amount of support: Scholars receive up to $7,500 annually to cover tuition, fees, books and room and board expenses.
- Number of Scholarships: Up to 480 Goldwater Scholarships are awarded each year.
- Be a full-time sophomore (two years remaining) or junior (one year remaining) during the academic year in which he or she applies
- Have a college grade-point-average of at least 3.7
- Be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident
- Application Procedures: Candidates must be nominated by the university. There will be a competitive selection process to determine up to four candidates. The application consists of online and hard copy entries. It requires three letters of recommendation.