UPDATE April 15, 2020: On April 13, 2020, due to the ongoing challenges of the COVID-19 virus, CU Boulder’s Provost and Chief Operating Officer announced the cancellation of all in-person events through July 31, 2020. In light of this shift, we regret that we will be unable to offer in-person summer programs on the CU Boulder and Anschutz campuses this year.
More information will be coming soon, but all families who have registered for 2020 summer programs will have a choice of:
- Retaining their registration fees as a balance in their account to be used towards future Science Discovery programs
- Donating their registration fees to Science Discovery’s scholarship fund
- Receiving a refund
In the coming weeks, we will be sending out a follow-up email with additional instructions on how to process your summer program cancellation.
Although disappointed that we won’t be able to see our Science Discovery families in person this year, we’re excited to announce that in lieu of our regular summer programs, we will be offering virtual STEM classes across a range of disciplines and age groups. These classes – including many of our long-time favorites – will combine virtual class time with online and hands-on activities. Detailed information about our online offerings, including class descriptions, schedule and registration information, can be found on our summer pages.
We would greatly appreciate hearing your preferences regarding the virtual summer programs we're currently developing. Please take a minute to share your input via our 4-question survey. The survey will close at 11:59pm on Sunday, April 19.
Many thanks for your patience as we work through these circumstances.
UPDATE March 24, 2020: As you may have heard, CU Boulder's Office of the Provost released a statement today stating that all June 2020 college courses will be taught remotely. We are working with campus leadership to determine what this means for our K-12 summer programs. Our goal is to have a final decision regarding the status of summer no later than April 17, 2020. We will uphold our current cancellation policy (stated below), until a decision is made regarding summer 2020:
Cancellations made more than 15 business days prior to the start of the camp/class will incur a $35 administrative fee. No refunds will be given for cancellations made within 15 business days of the start of the camp/class. In the event that a program is canceled by Science Discovery, registrants will receive a full refund. Transfer requests made up to 15 days prior to the start of a camp/class will incur a $15 administrative fee. Transfer requests made within 15 business days will incur a $35 administrative fee.
Again, we greatly appreciate your patience during this challenging time. Should you have any questions or concerns, please leave a voicemail with your phone number on our main phone line (303-492-7188) or send an email requesting a call back.
March 17, 2020: As you likely have heard by now, the CU Boulder Chancellor announced that effective Monday, March 16, 2020, the campus is transitioning to remote teaching, learning and work for the remainder of the spring semester. The campus is planning to remain open and Science Discovery staff will continue to work during this time, but we will do so remotely.
In light of the current COVID-19 situation, we want to make you aware of changes to upcoming Science Discovery programs and events:
- Spring Break, Homeschool, Afterschool and Day-Off Classes: All upcoming Spring Break, Homeschool, Afterschool and Day-Off classes are cancelled. Families who already registered for these classes have received a full refund.
- Teen Science Café: The April Teen Science Café is cancelled. We hope to bring you Science Speed Dating next fall to kick off our 2020-21 Teen Café season!
- Summer Camps, STEM Academies and STEM Research Experience: The university has not yet made a decision about summer programs. We continue to plan for our 2020 summer season and will accept registrations online and over the phone as usual. Summer program information and online registration can be found on our summer website. If you’d like to speak with our registrar, please leave a voicemail with your phone number on our main phone line (303-492-7188) or send an email requesting a call back.
Our top priority is keeping our community healthy and safe. We greatly appreciate your patience and flexibility as we navigate this ever-evolving situation. For current updates about the University of Colorado Boulder response to COVID-19, please visit the CU website.