- Tuesday, Jan. 17–Monday, Jan. 23: The CU-SIS Development team contacts departments with existing holds.
- Thursday, Feb. 2:
- Deadline for departments with existing holds to submit additions, changes or deletions.
- Deadline for departments to request a new advising hold (email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Wednesday, Feb. 8: Deadline for departments to submit SID lists for batch processing (if applicable).
- Thursday, Feb. 9: The CU-SIS Development team sets advising holds.
- Tuesday, Feb. 14 at noon: Final advising hold deadline for Summer 2023.
- Tuesday, Feb. 28 at noon: Final advising hold deadline for Fall 2023.
- Wednesday, Feb. 15: Assigned enrollment dates for Summer 2023 are visible to students in Buff Portal. No new advising holds will be assigned for Summer 2023.
- Wednesday, March 1: Assigned enrollment dates for Fall 2023 are visible to students in Buff Portal. No new advising holds will be assigned for Fall 2023.
We will be setting Summer and Fall 2023 advising holds (a.k.a., advising service indicators) for continuing students on Thursday, Feb. 9. Once set, these holds will prevent students in those programs from registering until they've met with their academic advisor.
If your department would like to discuss creating a new advising hold for Summer of Fall 2023, email the CU-SIS Development team with the details of your request by Thusrday, Feb. 2.
Review Your Holds
If your department currently uses advising holds, you should have received an email from the CU-SIS Development team last week to confirm the population and text of your hold. Reply with any necessary changes, additions or deletions by Thusrday, Feb. 2.
If your department's advising holds are assigned using an SID list, submit your list by noon on Wednesday, Feb. 8. Lists submitted after that date will be processed in the order in which they're received, allowing at least two business days for processing.
Notify Your Students
To support student success, academic departments are responsible for notifying their students when an advising hold is placed and for providing a clear explanation of the steps the student must take to have it released.
If you wish to request an e-memo, student communications are distributed by Strategic Relations & Communications using CU Boulder Today and associated campus communication tools. Visit the CU Boulder Today website to view the different tools (e.g., CU Boulder Today stories and administrative e-memos) and submit your message for campus audiences.
Release Holds Promptly
Advising holds now include a timeline for release (e.g., "After you've met with your advisor, your hold will be removed within three business days"). Please remove the advising hold as soon as you can after the student has received advising to ensure compliance with this timeline.
For step-by-step instructions for both manual and batch removal, see our advising holds page.