The IDE program was formerly known as Engineering Plus ("e+"). Though the name has changed, the program has not. We have preserved this article for its useful insight into our innovative program and people.

Hi Rachel!
What is your current e+ Emphasis and Concentration?

e+ Mechanical Emphasis + Engineering Management, Entrepreneurship and STEM Education Concentrations

Why did you choose the program?
I chose Engineering Plus for two reasons. The first was that I fell in love with my experience in Engineering for the Community (GEEN 2400). When I heard Engineering Plus took a more project-based approach, I knew I wanted to be a part of the program. The second reason was that I really wanted to be a part of the start-up/entrepreneurial community, this involves the ability to wear many hats. By doing Engineering Plus I could do just that, study Mechanical Engineering, while developing skills in other areas such as finance and accounting, marketing and classroom interactions, to name a few.

What do you want to do after graduation?
After graduation, I want to work for an entrepreneurial company. I want to be part of a creative, fast-paced environment where I can continue to wear many hats using my engineering, business and communication skills. Eventually, I'd love the experience of launching my own company.

What will you be doing this summer?
This summer I will be doing a 10-week program called Start-Up Summer. In this program, I will have the opportunity to intern 40 hours a week for an entrepreneurial company based in Boulder while simultaneously learning skills necessary for success as an entrepreneur. With other participants in the program, I will be spending an additional 10 hours a week forming my own startup leading up to a pitch competition at the end of the summer.

How did you find your internship?
I was a part of a team developing a marketing plan and pitch for my Technology Ventures and Marketing course last semester (associated with one of my Concentrations). The company my team chose was Give & Go, the winning 2017 New Venture Challenge Team. A member of that team, knowing about my interest in entrepreneurship was kind enough to forward the opportunity onto me!

What advice would you give to an Engineering Plus student looking to find their "dream" internship?
Search internships, take a good look at the job descriptions and question in what role/company could you see yourself being most excited to work. Becoming familiar with what your dream job would be, apply and don't be discouraged if you don't get it at first. Once you know what your dreams are, then you can start becoming intentional about where you place your time and energy building a theme for your resumes, websites and elevator pitches that conveys your story. Most important, by aligning your extracurricular activities with this theme, you will start building a community and a network that's rooting for you.

Is there anything else you'd like to share?
I'd want to share additionally to other e+ students that they shouldn't wait to figure out who they are or what their dreams are. If you don't decide what you want, others will decide that for you. You have to know what makes you happy and align your life with that. Pay attention to where your mind goes, when it's not doing what it has to do, pay attention to when you feel most content, and if you find something that makes you passionate, run with it! Most important, start confidently talking about your passions when you vocalize them, people will think of you when they see opportunities that remind them of you! I wouldn't have any of the opportunities I do to work at the ITLL, TA for Technology Ventures and Marketing, or recently to join the Campus Innovation Action team if I hadn't began talking.