Hazing is defined as any action or situation that recklessly or intentionally endangers the health, safety or welfare of an individual for the purpose of initiation, participation, admission into or affiliation with any organization at the university. Hazing includes, but is not limited to, any abuse of a mental or physical nature, forced consumption of any food, liquor, drugs or substances, or any forced physical activity that could adversely affect the health or safety of the individual. Hazing also includes any activity that would subject the individual to embarrassment or humiliation, the willingness of the participant in such activity notwithstanding.

An assault is a physical attack. Assaults can take different forms. If you feel this information listed on this page does not match your experience you can look at other sections of this site that might be a better fit. Click to visit the specific section: intimate partner violenceexperiences of bias, or sexual assault.

If there is no clearly identified victim and suspect in your case such as cases of brawling, OVA may not be the best resource for you. Conflict resolution strategies such as the Ombuds office, Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution, or Restorative Justice may be more appropriate. For legal advice visit Student Legal Services.

Explore your options

Your health is important. If you have injuries, please consider getting medical attention. Boulder Community Health is the closest hospital to CU and provides emergency 24/7 care. CU Medical Services at Wardenburgis located on campus for non-emergencies. If you are seeking medical care due to a sexual assault please go to the Sexual Assault page for more information on medical options.

For content-specific information about reporting see below. For general information about reporting and the possibilities of working with systems visit our reporting page or visit campus's Don't Ignore It website.


If you have been the impacted party of an assault or certain behaviors as part of hazing, reporting the behavior to the police is an option. Reporting can take many forms and doesn’t necessarily have to lead to the filing of criminal charges. Some people simply want to file an “informational” report with the intention of making the police aware of their situation, without pursuing the charges. Some people choose to file criminal charges.This might include getting names of witnesses, saving emails, text messages or voice messages related to the incident as well as taking pictures of injuries, damage, graffiti or supporting materials. You can also get copies of relevant medical records. OVA can talk with you about reporting options and be an advocate for you throughout the process. Please note: If you have had a dating or intimated relationship with the person who assaulted you the police may classify it as intimate partner abuse/domestic violence and if so would need to make an arrest if there is probable casue due to the Colorado mandatory arrest law in cases of domestic violence/ intimate partner abuse.

Reporting to CU's office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution

Incidents of assault and hazing perpetrated by students can be reported to the Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (SCCR). SCCR has an informal and formal resolution process and can put no contact orders in place. In cases of a formal process that a violation of the student code of conduct was found, SCCR will put in place sanctions through the university. Please go to the SCCR website to learn more about the SCCR process. To make a report to SCCR please contact SCCR directly at 303-492-5550, make an online report, or contact OVA for advocacy in the reporting process. In addition SCCR offers opportunities for conflict resolution and restorative justice. If you are unsure about reporting, please contact OVA and we can talk through the SCCR process with you confidentially to assist you in your decision making process.

Experiencing hazing or being the target of or having experiencef violence can take a toll on one's day-to-day life. Click here for a list of impacts as they can vary from person to person. Practicing self care and reaching out for support can make a difference. Informal support such as friends, family, and colleagues can be a great resource. In addition, OVA is free and confidential and here to be a resource for trauma-focused counseling, advocacy, informing one of their rights and options, and providing information, referrals, and consultation on additional campus and community resources.  Some things you might discuss when meeting with OVA include:

  • figuring out what you feel and think about what’s going on.
  • getting information that will help you assess the situation, and figure out what you want.
  • discussing your rights and reporting options.
  • talking about how to manage academics, or work given the situation.
  • talking about making a safety plan if applicable.
  • getting medical treatment if you have injuries or are worried about your health.
  • changing routines, assessing safety and impact.
  • discussing self-care and coping skills.

*If seeking support from CU staff or factuly, they have limits to keeping the information you are sharing with them confidential. If you wish to not have the information shared with the Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance consider reaching out to a confidential resource such as OVA.

If supporting someone being hazed or assaulted, visit our how to help page.

If the aftermath of the incident is affecting your living environment, OVA can discuss options for a change of housing.

If you are worried about how this situation may be impacting your schoolwork, OVA is here to help. You deserve to be in school and to meet your goals. The OVA can discuss options for managing academic issues while maintaining privacy and may be able to contact professors.

A protection order is a civil legal document obtained through the courts that puts restrictions on individuals who may be dangerous to you. If they violate these restrictions they can be sanctioned by the court. If you have questions about obtaining a protection order you can talk to a confidential OVA advocate counselor, call the Boulder Protective Order Clinic at 303-441-4867, contact Safehouse Progressive Alliance for Nonviolence, or go to the Colorado Judicial Branch Protection Order website.

If someone is arrested for domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault, and the suspect is released from jail, a criminal no contact order is usually issued by the courts for the duration of the criminal case.