Oct. 1, 2019
The university’s mission is to foster a safe and inclusive campus environment for all members of the CU community to provide equal access to educational and employment opportunities. Our interactions with one another form the foundation that shapes an inclusive campus culture.
In furtherance of this mission, the Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance implements and enforces three university policies for students, staff, faculty, volunteers, and affiliates. These policies are:
- Discrimination and Harassment
- Sexual Misconduct, Intimate Partner Abuse and Stalking
- Conflict of Interest in Cases of Amorous Relationships
Following review and input by students, staff, and faculty and their respective governance groups, the newly revised Discrimination and Harassment Policy takes effect today, Oct. 1, 2019.
The purpose for updating the Discrimination and Harassment Policy was to align it with changes made to the Sexual Misconduct Policy last year.
Primary areas where these changes have occurred include:
- Adding definitions and procedures that were previously only included in OIEC’s resolution procedures
- Aligning language on “jurisdiction” factors for determining when and if a case will be taken up for adjudication and resolution
- Clarifying mandatory reporting obligation for “responsible employees”
You can read the updated Discrimination and Harassment Policy on the OIEC website. As a reminder, the university does not discriminate based on protected-class, which includes race, color, national origin, pregnancy, sex, age, disability, creed, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran (military service) status, political affiliation, or political philosophy.
All new members of the CU community complete training on these policies when they first arrive. CU Boulder also requires all employees (faculty, staff, and student staff) and affiliates to renew the policy training every three years.
If you have any questions about OIEC or these changes, please contact OIEC at 303-492-2127 or firstname.lastname@example.org.