Faculty/staff members who are traveling internationally on University business without students are not required to register with Education Abroad or purchase our insurance. When the international travel involves students, however, the University has a greater responsibility to mitigate risk. Faculty/staff accompanying students on international travel must register and enroll in the same insurance policy as the students so that all travelers are subject to the same policy regarding potential evacuations.

International travel by students (such as Graduate Research Assistants) traveling as part of their CU employment should refer to the CU International Travel website for CU employees.

Non-approved programs are typically study abroad programs that have no connection to CU, either through approval, funding/sponsorship, credit, or other affiliation. Students who choose to participate in non-approved programs must register these programs but do not have access to the services provided by the CU Education Abroad office, which include, but are not limited to: advising on program selection, emergency assistance, in-residence credit for courses, oversight of academic content, access to academic advising, access to financial aid, and general support before departure and while abroad. For more information, see CU Boulder Programs vs. Non-Approved Programs.

On the other hand, if the international travel is not an approved program but is CU-related (CU-sponsored, CU-affiliated, or related to a CU Boulder activity/program), the travel must be registered through the International Travel Registration process, and the services outlined under the International Travel Registration tab (above) are provided.

Prior to completing the registration, groups must have one individual (usually the group leader or a non-traveling administrative assistant) complete the Group Pre-Registration. This provides us with the information we need to set up the registrations for the group. Individual travelers will have the pre-registration forms included in their registration.

All travelers are required to submit their citizenship and emergency contact information to facilitate insurance and STEP registration. In addition, travelers will sign a few waivers, complete an online pre-departure orientation, and read the International Traveler Handbook.

In addition to these requirements, group leaders will complete an online group leader orientation and sign group leader waivers.

Education Abroad will withdraw your registration, insurance coverage, and STEP enrollment. The International Travel Registration fees are non-refundable.

Our policy, and most other policies, require the traveler to pay medical bills at the time of treatment and later submit a claim to the insurance company for reimbursement. Be prepared to have to pay cash up front. Invoices and/or receipts are required when submitting a claim; be sure to keep proper documentation of all medical treatment until the claim is completely settled. In the event of an illness or injury whose treatment cost is high, Education Abroad will work with the insurance provider to facilitate direct payment to the hospital or clinic.

You should receive an email from the insurance company no later than one week prior to your departure. Note that this will not be the case if you inform our office of your travel within one week of your departure. The email includes a policy summary, verification letter, ID card, and instructions for portal access.

Yes. The policy provides benefits not often available in participants' personal coverage and differs from the insurance available through Wardenburg. Included in the policy are medical, political and social unrest, and natural disaster evacuation and repatriation coverage. Per CU policy, all students and faculty/staff accompanying students traveling internationally are required to enroll, regardless of other coverage.

Our insurance will only provide coverage during the dates of your official CU-related international travel. If you remain abroad after the fact, you will no longer be covered, so we encourage you to purchase insurance independently for any travel outside official dates. You will find many options on www.insuremytrip.com.

Consumption of alcohol on CU-related international travel is governed by the International Risk Committee for Student Travel's Rules Governing Alcohol on CU Boulder International Programs. Faculty, staff, or group leaders (including student leaders) may request a waiver to the rules for academic activities where alcohol is relevant to the academic content of the experience (e.g., wine tasting when visiting a winery or beer tasting when visiting a brewery). Please note that all required documentation must be submitted three months prior to the desired departure date.

The U.S. Department of State's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program is a free service that allows U.S. citizens and nationals traveling abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. By enrolling, you will:

  • Receive important information from the Embassy about safety conditions in your destination country, helping you make informed decisions about your travel plans
  • Help the U.S. Embassy contact you in an emergency, whether natural disaster, civil unrest, or family emergency
  • Help family and friends get in touch with you in an emergency

You will be required to register for the STEP program prior to your departure.

The U.S. Department of State provides detailed information regarding travel advisory levels and risk indicators on their website.

All University policies that apply to you on the CU Boulder campus also apply while you are abroad on CU-related international travel. These policies include, but are not limited to: the Student Code of Conduct, Discrimination and Harassment Policy, Sexual Misconduct Policy, Amorous Relationships Policy, and CU policies regarding alcoholic beverages.