Academic advising and academic coaching are critical components in the success of undergraduate students. The goal is to assist students in creating and achieving educational, career, and life goals.
Advising & Coaching Community at CU Boulder
There are several advising and student support centers across the Boulder campus; some are housed within one of the colleges and schools and others are stand-alone programs. Support services vary but include academic advising, academic coaching, and overall academic support. Find out more about advising services on campus.
Associate Vice Provost Shelly Bacon collaborates with these advising and student support centers to align the work of advising with the goals of the campus and to promote a consistent advising experience that supports students and student success initiatives. Two key governance groups help to shape the advising landscape: the Advising Council and the Campus Advising Executive Council (CAEC).
Professional Development Opportunities for Staff and Faculty
The advising community hosts many professional development opportunities throughout the year, and participation in a specific collection of topics will earn a non-professional Master of Advisory Practice Certificate. All interested staff and faculty on campus are welcome to attend and also welcome to pursue the certificate.
NACADA Award Winners
On behalf of Advising Council, we'd like to extend a hearty congratulations to:
- Lily Board - Winner of the Most Outstanding Advising Administrator Award
- Lauren Brown - Certificate of Merit, Most Outstanding Advisor
- Anna Metzger - Certificate of Merit, Most Outstanding New Advisor
Advising Excellence Awards
As part of a new tradition on campus of honoring those in the advising community who are making a strong contribution, the Office of Undergraduate Education sponsors Campus Advising Excellence Awards each year to highlight advisors, coaches, and administrators who are held up by their peers and their students as the standard for excellence.
2021 Award Winners
- Outstanding Academic Coach: Audrey Blakenheim, College of Arts & Sciences
- Outstanding New Academic Advisor: Brooke Nelson, University Exploration & Advising Center
- Outstanding Experienced Academic Advisor: Debbie Yeh, College of Engineering & Applied Science
- Outstanding Administrator or Leader: Dylan West, Program in Envrionmental Design
- Outstanding Student Sucess Professional in the Advising & Coaching Community: Blazey Heier, Division of Continuing Education
- Outstanding Advising Program: Academic Success Team, Student Support & Advising Services, College of Engineering & Applied Science
2020 Award Winners
- Outstanding Academic Coach: Alicia Sepulveda, College of Arts & Sciences
- Outstanding New Academic Advisor: Anna Metzger, University Exploration & Advising Center
- Outstanding Experienced Academic Advisor: Lauren Brown, University Exploration & Advising Center
- Outstanding Administrator: Lily Board, College of Arts & Sciences
- Outstanding Advising Program: Advisor Onboarding, Training, and Development Program, Dana Parcher, Office of Undergraduate Education