Any faculty member whose duties include teaching, thesis/dissertation supervision, graduate examining committee service, or research supervision of students on this campus must be appointed to the Graduate Faculty of the University of Colorado Boulder.

Types of Graduate Faculty Appointment Membership

Regular graduate faculty appointments may be given to full-time tenure/tenure track faculty members of CU Boulder who hold the rank of assistant professor, associate professor, or professor, as well as a research professor title.  A regular appointment may be given for a maximum of seven years for tenured faculty.  For assistant professors or other untenured faculty, the appointment should not extend past the semester of their next required review, whether that is comprehensive review for reappointment or a tenure review.

Special graduate faculty appointments are given to those individuals who are not full time members of CU Boulder faculty or do not meet the criteria outlined for regular membership.  Special appointments are given for a maximum of three years.  Requests for special appointments should include the specific duties being requested for an individual, such as teaching courses or a specific course, serving on committees or specific students’ committees, or serving as outside member on committees. Faculty members with special appointments do not normally serve as thesis/dissertation supervisors.

Only departments which offer a graduate degree are eligible to initiate a graduate faculty appointment.  Persons brought in from outside the university for a committee or to teach a course (this includes institutes and research centers as well as other institutions outside CU Boulder) must be sponsored by an eligible department.  Intercampus appointments are treated as any other appointment. For more detailed information about types of graduate faculty appointments, privileges, criteria etc., please see the Graduate School Rules, Article I, Section 4.

Processing of Graduate Faculty Appointments

Requests for appointment and reappointment should be received in the Graduate School prior to the start of the semester.  Appointments are approved by semester, and an academic year appointment begins the first day of class in the fall and runs through the summer (the last day before classes begin for the fall).

Each request should be made via DocuSign using the Graduate Faculty Appointment request form.  A current vita/resume must be attached to all requests.  If a vita does not clearly speak for itself, please also attach a letter justifying the request for appointment.  For special members with restrictions, list the responsibilities and duties that will be assigned to that person.

In reviewing GFA requests, the Dean looks to see the following:

  • A current vita
  • A terminal degree for the academic area, usually a PhD
  • Recent publications, three or more within the last two years (this may vary by field or discipline)
  • Evidence of current work in field

All forms must be routed for the signature of the graduate department chair before it reaches the Graduate School.  If the appointment is approved by the Dean of the Graduate School, an e-mail will be received by the originator of the appointment request.

A request to amend a current appointment should be made via DocuSign using the request for amendment to a Graduate Faculty Appointment form The requested change in duties should be clearly explained in the form.  A current vita/resume must be attached. The form should be routed for the signature of the department chair, and will then come to the Graduate School without needing the college level dean’s signature.  The type and length of the appointment will remain as originally approved- only a change in duties will be considered.