Department: Civil, Environmental, and Architectural Engineering
Education: B.S., Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (2008), M.S.E., Ph.D., University of Michigan (2009,2014)
Teaching: CVEN 5534 Wastewater Treatment, CVEN 4834 Sustainability Principles for Engineers
Research: Sustainable water system design, resource recovery from waste, environmental biotechnology, biological process stability and reliability.
Office: SEEC S299
Honors and Distinctions:
- 2018, University of Colorado Boulder CEAE Young Researcher Award
- 2018, University of Colorado Boulder Bennett-Lindstedt Faculty Fellowship
- 2018, Virginia Tech CEE Outstanding Young Alumni
- 2013, Rackham Predoctoral Fellow
- 2010, Graham Sustainability Institute Doctoral Fellow
- 2009, National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellow
- 2008, Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society National Fellow
- 2008, Virginia Tech College of Engineering Outstanding Senior
- 2007, 2006, Morris K. Udall Scholar
Recent Publication with undergraduate students:
* indicates undergraduate student
- Cook, S.M.; VanDuinen*, B.J.; Love, N.G.; Skerlos, S.J. Life cycle comparison of environmental emissions from three disposal options for unused pharmaceuticals. Environmental Science & Technology 2012, 46 (10), 5535-5541.
Recent Publication with graduate students:
** indicates graduate student
- Davis, A.L.**; Javernick-Will, A.; Cook, S.M. A comparison of interviews, focus groups, and photovoice to identify sanitation priorities and increase success of community-based sanitation systems. Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology (2018), 4, 1451-1463. Link.
- Jones, C.H.**; Terry, L.G.**; Summers, R.S.; Cook, S.M. Environmental Life Cycle Comparison of Conventional and Biological Filtration Alternatives for Drinking Water Treatment. Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology (2018), 4, 1464-1479. Link.
- Jones, C.H.**; Shilling, E.**; Linden, K.; Cook, S.M. Life Cycle Environmental Impacts of Disinfection Technologies Used in Small Drinking Water Systems. Environmental Science & Technology, 52 (5), 2998–3007. Link.
- Keshavarzmohammadian, A.**; Cook, S.M.; Milford, J.B. Cradle-to-gate Environmental Impacts of Sulfur-based Solid-state Lithium Batteries for Electric Vehicle Applications. Journal of Cleaner Production (2018), DOI: 0.1016/j.jclepro.2018.08.168. Link.
- Byrne, D.M.**; Lohman, H.A.C.**; Cook, S.M.; Peters, G.M.; Guest, J.S. Life cycle assessment (LCA) of urban water infrastructure: Emerging approaches to balance objectives and inform comprehensive decision-making (2017), Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology, 3, 1002-1014. Link.
- Thompson, K.A.**; Summers, R.S.; Cook, S.M. Development and experimental validation of the composition and treatability of a new synthetic bathroom greywater (SynGrey) (2017), Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology, 3, 1120-1131. Link.
- Thompson, K.A.**; Shimabuku, K.K.**; Kearns, J.P.**; Knappe, D.R.U.; Summers, R.S.; Cook, S.M. Environmental comparison between biochar and activated carbon for tertiary wastewater treatment (2016), Environmental Science & Technology, 50 (20), 11253-11262. Link.