Department: Civil, Environmental, and Architectural Engineering, and INSTAAR
Education: BCE, Georgia Tech; MS and PhD, University of Colorado, Boulder
Teaching: CVEN 5333 Physical Hydrology
Research: Modeling water quality in surface waters, contaminant fate and transport, ecosystem response to climate change, polar aquatic and general ecosystem research
Office: SEEC S217
Honors and Distinctions:
- Fellow of the Geological Society of America, 2017
- 2012 Penn State Engineering Alumni Association Outstanding Teaching Award
- Harry West Teaching Award, 2011-2012 (Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, Penn State University)
- National Academy of Engineering Frontiers in Engineering Education Symposium, 2011 (one of 65 selected participants from Engineering programs across the US)
- UCOWR Award for Education and Public Service to the MOCHA team, 2011
- Hartz Family Development Professorship at Penn State, 2007-2010
- Outstanding Faculty Mentor, 2004 (Utah State University)
** denotes work done in collaboration with graduate students
* denotes work done in collaboration with undergraduate students
- **Wlostowski, AN, MN Gooseff, and BJ Adams. 2018. Soil moisture controls the thermal habitat of active layer soils in the McMurdo Dry Valleys, Antarctica. Journal of Geophysical Research Biogeosciences, 123(1): 46-59.
- **Webb, RW, SR Faccnacht, and MN Gooseff. 2018. Hydrologic flow path development varies by aspect during spring snowmelt in complex subalpine terrain. The Cryosphere, 12: 287-300.
- **Singley, JG, **AN Wlostowski, **AJ Bergstrom, ER Sokol, **CL Torrens, C Jaros, **CE Wilson, **PJ Hendrickson, and MN Gooseff. 2017. Characterizing hyporheic exchange processes using high-frequency electrical conductivity-discharge relationships on subhourly to interannual timescales. Water Resources Research, 53(3): 4124-4141.
- **Webb, RW, SR Fassnacht, and MN Gooseff. 2017. Defining the diurnal pattern of snowmelt using a beta distribution function. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 53(3): 684-696.
- **Webb, R, S Fassnacht, and MN Gooseff 2015. Wetting and drying variability of the shallow subsurface beneath a snowpack in California’s southern Sierra Nevada. Vadose Zone Journal, 14(8): doi:10.2136/vzj2014.12.0182.
- **Langford, ZL, MN Gooseff, and DJ Lampkin. 2015. Spatiotemporal dynamics of wetted soils across a polar desert landscape. Antarctic Science, 27(2): 197-209.
- **Larson, LN, M Fitzgerald, K Singha, MN Gooseff, JL Macalady, and W Burgos. 2013. Hydrogeochemical niches associated with hyporheic exchange beneath an acid mine drainage-contaminated stream. Journal of Hydrology, 501: 163-174.
- **Ward, AS, *RA Payn, MN Gooseff, BL McGlynn, KE Bencala, CA Kelleher, SM Wondzell, and T Wagener. 2013. Variations in surface water-ground water interactions along a headwater mountain stream: Comparisons between transient storage and water balance analyses. Water Resources Research, 49(6): 3359-3374.
- **Kerr, PC, MN Gooseff, and D Bolster. 2013.The significance of model structure in one-dimensional stream solute transport models with multiple transient storage zones – competing vs. nested arrangements. Journal of Hydrology, 497: 133-144.
- Gooseff, MN, DA Benson, MA Briggs, *M Weaver, W Wollheim, B Peterson, and CS Hopkinson. 2011. Residence time distributions in surface transient storage zones in streams: Estimation via signal deconvolution. Water Resources Research, 47, W05509, doi:10.1029/2010WR009959.