Department: Mechanical Engineering
Education: B.S., Iowa State University (1983), M.S., Ph.D., Carnegie Mellon University (1985, 1988), J.D., University of Colorado School of Law (2004).
Teaching: MCEN 4131 Air Pollution Control, MCEN 3012 Thermodynamics, MCEN 4228 Env. Modeling, MCEN 5228 Env. Law for Engineers, MCEN 4228 Sustainable Energy, MCEN 5032 Sustainable Energy, MCEN 5131 Air Pollution Control, MCEN 5228 Special Topics, Environmental Law, MCEN 5228 Special Topics, Environmental Modeling
Research: Air Quality Modeling, Atmospheric Chemistry, Air pollution source apportionment, Environmental law and management
Office: SEEC S286D
Honors and Distinctions:
- Colorado Air Quality Control Commission, appointed by Governor John Hickenlooper, March 2013 – present.
- National Academy of Sciences, Board of Environmental Studies and Toxicology, January 2010 to present.
- National Academy of Sciences, Committee on Science for EPA’s Future, June 2011 to August 2012.
- National Academy of Engineering, Chinese Academy of Sciences and Chinese Academy of Engineering, Committee on U.S.-Chinese Cooperation on Electricity from Renewable Resources, November 2008 to December 2010.
- Regional Air Quality Council, Board Member, August 2007 to March 2009, appointed by Governor Bill Ritter.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Science Advisory Board, 2005 - 2011, appointed by Administrator Stephen Johnson.
- Abraham Lincoln High School, Council Bluffs, IA, Hall of Fame Inductee, March 2013.
- Mechanical Engineering, University of Colorado at Boulder, Outstanding Graduate Education Award, 2010 - 2011.
- Mechanical Engineering, University of Colorado at Boulder, Outstanding Service Award, 2009 -2010.
- Health and Environmental Stewardship Award, presented by the Colorado Air Pollution Control Division, September 2008.
- Order of the Coif, University of Colorado School of Law, May 2004.
- Max S. Peters Faculty Service Award, College of Engineering and Applied Science, University of Colorado at Boulder, 2001.
Recent Publications with undergraduate students:
* indicates undergraduate student
- Ellenwood, M.*, Dilling, L., Milford, J.B. “Managing U.S. Public Lands in Response to Climate Change: A View From the Ground Up,” Environmental Management, 49(5):954-967, 2012.
Recent Publications with graduate students:
** indicates graduate student
- **McLeod, J., Brinkman, G., Milford, J.B., “Emissions Implications of Future Natural Gas Production and Use in the U.S. and in the Rocky Mountain Region,” Environ. Sci. Technol., 48:13036-13044, 2014.
- **Clements, N., *Eav, J., **Xie, M., Hannigan, M., Miller, S.L., Navidi, W., Peel, J., Schauer, J.J., Shafer, M., Milford, J.B., “Concentrations and Source Insights for Trace Elements in Fine and Coarse Particulate Matter,” Atmospheric Environment, 89:373-381, 2014.
- **Archie, K., Dilling, L., Milford, J., Pampel, F., “Unpacking the 'Information Barrier': Comparing Perspectives on Information as a Barrier to Climate Change Adaptation in the Interior Mountain West,” Journal of Environmental Management, 133:397-410, 2014.
- **Clements, N., Milford, J.B., Miller, S.L., Navidi, W., Peel, J.L., Hannigan, M.P. “Errors in Coarse Particulate Matter (PM10-2.5) Mass Concentrations and Spatiotemporal Characteristics when Using Subtraction Estimation Methods,” Journal of the Air and Waste Management Association, 63(12):1386-1398, 2013.
- Helmig D., **Daly R.W., Milford J., and Guenther A. “Seasonal trends in biogenic terpene emissions,” Chemosphere, 93:35-46, 2013.
- **Brown, K., Henze, D., Milford, J.B. "Accounting for Climate and Air Quality Damages in Future US Electricity Generation Scenarios," Environmental Science and Technology, 47:3065-3072, 2013.
- **Xie, M., **Piedrahita, R., Dutton, S., Milford, J., Hemann, J., Peel, J., Miller, S., Kim, S-Y, Vedal, S., Sheppard, L., Hannigan, M. “Positive Matrix Factorization of a 32-month Series of Daily PM2.5 Speciation Data with Incorporation of Temperature Stratification,” Atmospheric Environment, 65:11-20, 2013.
- **Xie, M., Hannigan, M., Dutton, S., Milford, J., Hemann, J., Miller, S., Schauer, J., Peel, J., Vedal, S., “Positive Matrix Factorization of PM2.5 – Comparison and Implications of Using Different Speciation Data Sets,” Environmental Science and Technology, 46(21):11962-11970, 2012.
- **Archie, K., Dilling, L., Milford, J.B., Pampel, F., “Climate Change and Western Public Lands: A Survey of U.S. Federal Land Managers on the Status of Adaptation Efforts,” Ecology and Society, 17(4): article 20, 2012.
- *Ellenwood, M., Dilling, L., Milford, J.B. “Managing U.S. Public Lands in Response to Climate Change: A View From the Ground Up,” Environmental Management, 49(5):954-967, 2012.