Department: Civil, Environmental, and Architectural Engineering
Education: B.Sc., Iran University of Science and Technology; M.Sc., University of Colorado Denver; Ph.D., Colorado State University
Teaching: EVEN 4830 Fate & Transport of Contaminants, CVEN/EVEN 4404 Water Chemistry, CVEN/EVEN 4434/5434 Environmental Engineering Design
Research: Engineering education, sustainable water systems, fate & transport of microplastics
Office: SEEC S274
Honors and Distinctions:
- NSF Grant: PI Bolhari, A., Co-PI Bielefeldt, A. “Research Initiation: Enhancing Engineering Students’ Innovation Self-Efficacy through Design of K-12 STEM Projects” Submission to NSF RIEF. Awarded. $199,915, 2022.
- Bolhari, A. "Design of an AI-Augmented Learning Thread for Environmental Engineering Curriculum.” Submission to Engineering Education and AI-Augmented Learning IRT, University of Colorado Boulder: Awarded $16,410, January 2022.
- Bolhari, A., Tillema, S. “Understanding Households’ Increase in Capacity and Resiliency from Undertaking Engineering Projects.” Submission to Resilient Infrastructure with Sustainability and Equity (RISE) IRT, University of Colorado Boulder: Awarded $6,000, January 2022.
- President’s Research Award, Angelo State University, 2020
- NSF Grant: Bolhari, A., Castaneda, D.I. “EAGER: PPER Developing Drought-Resilient Communities by Utilizing Acrylic Concrete Structures for Rainwater Harvesting.” Submission to NSF CBET. Awarded. $99,997, 2017.
- Certificate of Appreciation for Outstanding Leadership; Vision and Development of the Future P4 Joint Emergency Training Facility Site Plan, Tom Green County, The State of Texas, 2019
- ASCE ExCEED Teaching Fellow, 2018
- Registered Professional Engineer: State of Colorado
- Member-NSF Grant “Sustainable STEM Learning Program (S2LP): Promoting Systems Thinking to Aid Holistic Undergraduate Education.” University of Colorado Denver, 2016-2017
- NSF-sponsored ASSIST Travel Grant, ALWE Program, 2017
- Office of Global Education Travel Grant to Colombia, University of Colorado Denver, 2016
- NSF-sponsored “Fast Track to Work Scholarship”, Colorado State University, 2006-2008
- “Arthur T. Corey Scholarship”, Colorado State University, 2007
- Top Student Award- Iran University of Science and Technology, 2001 & 2003
** denotes work done in collaboration with graduate students
* denotes work done in collaboration with undergraduate students
- Bolhari, A., T. Sale. (2023). Processes governing treatment of contaminants in low permeability zones. Sci. Total Environ. 879 (2023) 163010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2023.163010
- Albright, E. A., Crow, D. A., Dickinson, K., Devoss, R., Rumbach, A., Bolhari, A. (2023). CWC: The Politics of Multilevel Disasters, Recovery and Rebuilding. Southern Political Science Association Annual Meeting, January 11-14, 2023 - St. Pete Beach, Florida focused on disasters and recovery.
- Bolhari, A. (2023). BYOE: Laboratory Exercise using Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality for Environmental Engineering Curriculum. Paper presented at 2023 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Boston, MA.
- Bolhari, A., Bielefeldt, A. (2023). Work in Progress: Exploring Innovation Self-Efficacy in Neurodiverse Engineering Students. Paper presented at 2023 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Boston, MA.
- Bolhari, A., Bielefeldt, A. (2023). Exploring the Role of Mentorship in Enhancing Engineering Students’ Innovation Self-Efficacy. Paper presented at 2023 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Boston, MA.
- Higgins, C.*, Kamp, E.*, Stewart, K., Bolhari, A., Castaneda, D. (2023). Surveying the Cultural Assets of Engineering Students: An Exploratory Quantitative Study.” Paper presented at 2023 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Boston, MA.
- Bolhari, A., Flaska, E.*, Stewart, K. (2023). Engagement in Practice: Role of Community Engagement in Disaster Recovery. Paper presented at 2023 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Boston, MA.
- Bolhari, A., Castaneda, D.I., Arehart, J., Tillema, S. (2022). Performance Analysis and Life Cycle Assessment of Acrylic Concrete Structures for Rainwater Harvesting. RCR Advances 13 (2022) 200063 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rcradv.2022.200063
- Dickinson, S., Devoss, K., Albright, R., Crow, E., Rumbach, D., Bean, A., Fraser, H., Reid, T., Bolhari, A., Welton-Mitchell, Andre, C. Aldrich, D., Morss, R. Whelton, Javernick-Will, A., Irvine, L., du Bray, M., Rubenfeld, S.*, Tillema, S.* (2022). "Marshall Fire Unified Survey", in RAPID: Can Big Ideas About Resilience Survive the Reality of a Disaster? Built Environment Policy and Recovery After the Marshall Fire. DesignSafe-CI. https://doi.org/10.17603/ds2-0yc8-4h27
- Flood, W.*, La Rue-Lovett, M.*, Schade, K.*, Wager, E.*, & Bolhari, A. (2022). Utilizing Cryogenic CO2 Spray process for Removal of Lunar Regolith Dust Adhered to Spacesuits. In 2022 Waste-management Education Research Conference (WERC) (Vol. 3, pp. 1-4). IEEE. https://doi.org/10.1109/WERC54916.2022.9851240.
- *Butler, B., *Engelken, J., *Hill, M., *Tillema, S., *Trick, R., Bolhari, A., (2021). Utilization of Municipal Solid Waste Derived Biochar for Thermal Destruction of PFOA and PFOS. Colorado Rocky Mountain SWANA Annual Conference. Boulder, Colorado. November 1-3, 2021.
- Stewart, K., Castaneda, D.I.; Bolhari, A. (2020), Work in Progress: Citizen Scientists’ Description of an Engineer presented at 2020 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Virtual Conference. https://doi.org/10.18260/1-2--35620
- Bolhari, A.; Castaneda, D.I.; Stewart, K. (2020), Work in Progress: An Exploratory Study of the Sustainability Mindset through a Citizen Science Project in a Vulnerable Latinx Community presented at 2020 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Virtual Conference. https://doi.org/10.18260/1-2--35609
- *Dusenberry, B. & Bolhari, A. (2019) Feasibility of Avicennia Marina (Grey Mangroves) in Salt Removal from Water. Texas. Digital Library Repository. https://hdl.handle.net/2346.1/35862
- *Freeman, S., *Cox, N., *Halfman, M., *Shaffer, E., Bolhari, A. (2018). On-campus Engineering Solutions to Reduce Stormwater Runoff on a Marginalized Community. Texas Digital Library Repository. http://hdl.handle.net/2346.1/30816
- Bolhari, A. & **Baker, Claire (2018). Ecological Fence: Snow Harvesting. In M. Handwerker, J. Garrett-Davis, C. Sauter, R. Saxton (Eds.) Future Rural Archive (pp.74-115). Netherlands: Jap Sam Books & Last Chance, Colorado: Last Chance Press.
- Bolhari, A., T. Sale (2018). Treatment of Trichloroethene (TCE) in Low Permeability Zones of Aquifers Using Carbon Sequestration. USBI Biochar Conference. Wilmington Delaware.
- Bolhari, AR., Bolhari, A. (2018). IT Ethics and the Role of Perceived Possibility of Disclosure: An Interventional Research. American Society for Engineering Education. ASEE Annual Conference Proceedings, Salt Lake City, Utah. https://doi.org/10.18260/1-2--30738