Although October is technically National Disability Employment Awareness month, it's commonly referred to as Disability Awareness Month. With that, the Digital Accessibility Office is utilizing this month to host a series of events to enhance awareness and celebrate disability, accessibility, and inclusivity.
2023 also marks the 50th anniversary of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. The amended Rehab Act “prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability in programs conducted by federal agencies, in programs receiving federal financial assistance, in federal employment, and in the employment practices of federal contractors.” While it is the 50th anniversary of the Rehab Act, important sections were not signed in to law for years. Due to tireless work from disability justice advocates, Section 504 was signed in to law in 1977. While 2023 is the 50th anniversary, it’s an important time for reflection on the past and where we’d like to continue to the future.
Thus, the Digital Accessibility Office is utilizing this month to reflect. We invite all participants to use this month to educate yourselves further and assess how you can advocate for individuals with disabilities and create an inclusive and accessible environment for all. We invite everyone to learn about community resources at the expo, stretch out in accessible yoga, and learn how to incorporate accessibility into your own work (because accessibility is more than accommodations).
The events listed below are open to all CU Boulder students, staff, and faculty. Please visit the links below to register for events that interest you. We look forward to seeing you there and please do not hesitate to reach out at DigitalAccessibility@Colorado.EDU if you have any questions!
Disability Awareness Month Event Information
- Accessibility Resource Fair - a gathering of local off-campus organizations and on-campus resources dedicated to promoting accessibility and inclusivity for individuals with disabilities. This event is welcome to all CU staff, faculty, and students.
- October 5th, 2023, from 11 AM to 4 PM
- Accessible Yoga Day - In collaboration with CU Boulder Recreation Services, we will host yoga classes for all abilities.
- October 9th, 2023, from 10 AM to 11 AM (in-person) and 4 PM to 4:45 PM (virtual)
- A2Y Conference - this virtual conference is designed to bring participants together to engage in inspiring discussions, share best practices, and foster a more inclusive digital environment for all. This event is welcome to the public.
- October 19th, 2023, from 9 AM to 4 PM
Other Ways to Celebrate
We understand not everyone will be able to attend the celebration. With that, we have curated a list of other events, resources, movies, literature, and other multimedia to provide you with additional ways to participate and celebrate Disability Awareness Month and the 50th anniversary of the Rehab Act.
Local Events and Opportunities
- Attend the 26th annual Accessible Media, Web and Technology Conference in Denver: Accessing Higher Ground
- Attend a Phamaly Theatre Company show in Denver
- Visit Brewability on your next night out
- Find a local volunteer opportunity
- Disability Services presents: Accessibili-Tea
- ADA Office and Disability Services presents: Requesting Accommodations in the Workplace
CU Boulder Opportunities
- University Libraries Explore and Learn: Disability Awareness recommended reading
- Subscribe to the DAO Accessibility Minute Newsletter
- Enroll in the DAO's Canvas Accessibility Fundamentals Course
- Schedule a customized training from the DAO
- Take American Sign Language courses through ALTEC
Movies, Shows, Books, and Podcasts
- Watch Crip Camp: A Disability Revolution - available on Netflix
- Watch DeafU - available on Netflix
- Heumann Perspective podcast
- Disability Visibility Podcast
- Disability Visibility Book list
- Dear Rebel (book) by Rebel Girls
- True Biz (book) by Sara Nović
- A Disability History of the United States (book) by Kim Nielson
- Haben Girma’s Website (book, newsletter, etc.)
Social Media Accounts to Follow
- Molly Burke YouTube Channel and Tik Tok
- Follow Powerfully Isa on Instagram
- Follow Catarina Rivera (blindishlatina) on Instagram
- Follow the DAO on LinkedIn for weekly digital accessibility tips and information