CHA summer stipends are designed for graduate students conducting research in the humanities and the arts who don't already receive university-sponsored or external funding (in any amount) during the summer months. The $6,000 stipend will be paid out at the end of May and June in equal payments. The excellence of the project will be the main criterion for selection.
Deadline: March 17, 2023
- Students must be currently enrolled in a master's or doctoral level program at CU Boulder and be enrolled in Fall 2023 course/s.
- Students must be working in the humanities or arts. Applicants who come from units outside of traditional arts and humanities fields should amply demonstrate how their project engages with multi- and inter-disciplinary arts and humanities methods and archives.
- Any eligible student may submit an application with the exception of students who have received summer fellowships and/or funding from CU Boulder or external sources
- Students may not have another summer fellowship or receive a stipend (in any amount) so those already guaranteed university-sponsored funding are not eligible to apply. This includes summer Lecturer, GPTI,TA ,or RA appointments. If you apply and are awarded and then obtain university-sponsored funding at a later date, please email email@example.com to relinquish your CHA summer fellowship. Our goal is to provide students with a stipend who have no other means of summer funding.
- Late and/or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Nomination packet must include:
1. Cover Letter (double-spaced, 12 pt. font, one page or less). Please indicate which degree program you are currently in, note where you are in your program requirements, and why this fellowship would be timely.
2. Proposal (double-spaced, 12 pt. font, one page or less/two pages if you're adding artistic images to support your proposal). Provide details regarding your research project/interests and lay out what you hope to accomplish over the summer that will aid you in completing your thesis or dissertation. There is no requirement to complete anything, the funds are meant to support furthering your research. Please do not include a budget.
*Please note that we are no longer asking for an external letter of support for this opportunity.
Combine cover letter, proposal, and CV into a single .pdf and email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Feel free to review sample applications (cover letters/proposals only) prior to submitting. Incomplete and/or late applications will not be considered.
- By September 1, please email email@example.com a 300-600 word summary (double spaced, 12 point font) of how the summer fellowship aided in furthering your dissertation or thesis research. If you prefer to write this as a letter, feel free to address it to “Dear CHA” — we ask for this information because we’d like to know the impact of the award on your research and to possibly include quotations on our website or other CHA materials. If you do not want this information shared with anyone outside of the CHA, please indicate that this information is for CHA eyes only.
- Acknowledgment of the Center for Humanities & the Arts (CHA) is required on all promotional/published materials for projects funded by the CHA. Use this language for credit: “This project is supported, in part, by a grant from the Center for Humanities & the Arts”
- Download the Center for Humanities & the Arts logo here.