Who does the Center for Humanities & the Arts (CHA) serve?

The CHA reports directly to the Graduate School (not the College of Arts & Sciences) and serves all CU Boulder faculty and students working in the arts and humanities. In addition to bringing together academics and students across disciplines, the CHA also interfaces with the Boulder and larger Colorado communities.

            The CHA uses the National Endowment for the Humanities' definition of the humanities:

“The term ‘humanities’ includes, but is not limited to, the study of the following: language, both modern and classical; linguistics; literature; history; jurisprudence; philosophy; archaeology; comparative religion; ethics; the history, criticism and theory of the arts; those aspects of social sciences which have humanistic content and employ humanistic methods; and the study and application of the humanities to the human environment with particular attention to reflecting our diverse heritage, traditions, and history and to the relevance of the humanities to the current conditions of national life.”

In addition, CHA supports work in the creative and performing arts including but not limited to creative writing, painting, sculpting, composing or performing music, acting, directing, and dance, as well as critical, historical, and theoretical studies of the arts.

How can I find out about CHA’s events and get added to your listserve?

Subscribe to CHA's Listserve for information on upcoming grants and fellowship deadlines, events, and MORE!

Also, check out CHA's event page to find upcoming events.

How can I unsubscribe from CHA's mailing list?

To Unsubscribe: simply email and ask to be removed from our mailing list.

Where is the CHA located?

The CHA has an office suite on the 2nd floor (suite 201) of Macky Auditorium. Stop by to visit and see our new artwork!

What are CHA’s office hours?

We are currently working remotely, email is the best way to get a hold of us! When we're back on campus, we try to keep the office open roughly M-TH 10am-4pm but our small staff are often out of the office at meetings or attending events.

If you plan to stop by drop us an email to let us know you’re coming so we can be sure someone is on hand to greet you.

I want CHA to advertise our event/announcement, who should I contact?

We'd be happy to help advertise your event or highlight announcements but for greater impact, we are limiting the amount of emails we send to our listserve. If you'd like the CHA to help advertise, please adhere to the following guidelines:

CHA Website: we can immediately post arts and humanities-related events to our website
Listserve Email Blast: send detailed information by the 15th of each month to be included in our bi-weekly email
CHA Newsletter: send detailed information by the 25th of each month to be inlcuded in our monthly newsletter

Send information to Kat Lewis

Once we are back on campus, we're happy to hang posters outside our offices on the 2nd floor of Macky Auditorium. You can send them through campus mail (280 UCB) or come visit us in suite 201!


What are the university's travel policies?

View the university’s travel policies related to CU sponsored and personal travel and the Procurement Service Center Travel Procedural Statement for more information. Travel restrictions are currently in place, click here on information on how to policies related to travelling during the pandemic and to request authorization to travel. 

When is travel reimbursed?

Per CU policies, travel is reimbursed upon the conclusion of the trip.

What documents do I need to submit in order to get reimbursed for my Eaton and/or Ogilvy Travel Grant/s?

Typically, a copy of your e-ticket documenting dates of travel and proof of purchase plus any lodging, conference registration, uber/taxi receipts are enough to get you to your award amount. If not, then we can add per diem to get you to your final award.

For non-employees, when emailing receipts, please also make sure to include the mailing address where you’d like the hard copy check sent.

How do I request travel approval?

How to Request:
More travel information can be found here:
Travel restrictions are currently in place, click here on information on how to policies related to travelling during the pandemic and to request authorization to travel. 


Hazel Barnes Flat

How do I reserve the Hazel Barnes Flat in London?

To reserve the Hazel Barnes Flat in London, view CHA’s website and follow the application procedures. Contact Sharon Van Boven with questions.

What is the process for getting reimbursed for the Schwalbe Award I received?

Graduate Students: If you received a Schwalbe Research award with your HBF acceptance notification, your award will be processed via a Payment Authorization Form prior to your travel to London. 

Faculty/Other: Sharon Van Boven will work directly with your unit’s finance manager to reallocate your travel expenses to London and per diem while using the Hazel Barnes Flat. Please either send her their contact information or have them reach out directly to Sharon Van Boven. Note that per diem is processed at the conclusion of the trip.

How do I request travel approval pertaining to the HBF?

How to Request:
More travel information can be found here:

IMPORTANT: The Schwalbe Research Award is a gift fund, not an external grant. So, when prompted for a yes/no on the question, “is this grant funded?” please select “no.” Also, the “Submit Request to” field should be set to HR Supervisor since standard practice indicates travel is approved at the department level by the traveler’s HR Supervisor.

When is the written summary due and do you have examples I can follow?

A daily written summary of the activities and research completed is due within 30 days of vacating the flat. See more information and examples here.

Are there contingencies plans for if I get sick/Covid while occupying the flat?

If you need to adjust your stay due to illness, please contact the CHA to see about the possiblity of extending your stay. The flat is typically fully booked so there are no guarantees.

CHA Small Grant

Do I need a Chair’s Letter of Support?

No, a letter of support from the Chair of your department is no longer needed.

When will I hear back about my application?

Applicants can typically expect to hear back about two weeks after the deadline.

Does the CHA Small Grant support conference travel?

No, the Small Grant cannot be used for conference travel.

How many times can I receive a CHA Small Grant in an academic year?

Two. Applicants can receive one grant per semester.

My research project requires the use of animals or human subjects, who do I need to contact to get approval?

Please be advised that the appropriate University committee must first approve any research project that requires the use of animals or human subjects. For animal research, please contact Richard Husser of the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee at (303)492-8187.  For human subject research, please contact the Human Research and IRB Office at (303)735-3702.