HyunJoo Oh received a PhD in Technology, Media & Society. She was co-advised by Mark D. Gross, professor of computer science and director of the ATLAS Institute, and Michael Eisenberg, professor of computer science. HyunJoo holds two master’s degrees: one from Carnegie Mellon University in entertainment technology and one in media interaction design from Ewha Woman’s University, South Korea. She works on digital craft, tangible interaction and creative play. By encouraging deep engagement in playful environments, she seeks to inspire children to actively explore their ideas, while bridging the digital and physical worlds. HyunJoo is currently an assistant professor at the Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech), with a joint appointment in the School of Industrial Design and the School of Interactive Computing.
- Clement Zheng, HyunJoo Oh, Laura Devendorf, and Ellen Yi-Luen Do. 2019. Sensing Kirigami. In Proceedings of the 2019 on Designing Interactive Systems Conference (DIS '19). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 921-934. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3322276.3323689 (San Diego, CA, USA — June 23 - 28, 2019). Best Pictorial Award.
- Hyunjoo Oh, Sherry Hsi, Michael Eisenberg, and Mark D. Gross. 2018. Paper mechatronics: present and future. In Proceedings of the 17th ACM Conference on Interaction Design and Children (IDC '18). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 389-395. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3202185.3202761 (Trondheim, Norway – June, 2018).
- HyunJoo Oh, Tung D. Ta, Ryo Suzuki, Mark D. Gross, Yoshihiro Kawahara, and Lining Yao. 2018. PEP (3D Printed Electronic Papercrafts): An Integrated Approach for 3D Sculpting Paper-Based Electronic Devices. In Proceedings of the 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '18). ACM, New York, NY, USA, Paper 441, 12 pages. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3173574.3174015 (Montreal, Canada, April 21-26, 2018).
- HyunJoo Oh, Mark D. Gross, Michael Eisenberg, and Sherry Hsi. 2018. PaperMech. Interactions 25, 3 (April 2018), 14-15. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3199637 (April 2018).
- Pin-Cheng Lin, HyunJoo Oh, Mark D. Gross, Michael Eisenberg, Sherry Hsi, Becca Rose Glowacki, Mark Wonnacott, Amy Rose, Emma Powell, Liv Bargman, Seungwoo Je, Brendan Rooney, Liwei Chan, and Andrea Bianchi. 2018. Demo hour. Interactions 25, 2 (February 2018), 6-9. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3183514