The Volunteer Resource Center fosters a culture of service by connecting CU Boulder to engagement opportunities that positively impact our communities. Through an educational framework of equity and inclusion, we develop socially responsible student leaders who understand, advocate for and provide services to meet campus and community needs.
The Active Citizen Continuum
We envision a society of active citizens, who view community as a priority when making life decisions. Engaging in service, education and reflection can be a powerful catalyst for a transformed worldview and developing an identity and understanding of lifelong active citizenship.
The mission of the VRC is to strengthen campus and community relations through education, outreach and community service. We envision a society of active citizens who view community as a priority when making life decisions. Engaging in service, education and reflection can be a powerful catalyst for a transformed worldview and developing an identity and understanding of lifelong active citizenship.
1. Member: Not concerned with his/her role in social problems.
Pre-break transformation: prepare students for on-site experience and provide basic education about site-specific social issues.
- Education, orientation and training
- Pre-break service projects
- Icebreakers and group building activities
- Preflection: goals and expectations
2. Volunteer: Well-intentioned but not well-educated about social issues.
On-break transformation: Encourage participants to look critically at the root causes of social issues and challenge participants to evaluate the role that they can play in the community
- Strong direct service
- Ongoing education
- Community involvement
- Daily reflection linked to service activities and education
3. Conscientious Citizen: Concerned with discovering root causes; asks why?
Post-break transformation: Help participants find avenues for continued community involvement and support participants’ efforts to take the next ‘action steps.’
- Continued education
- Reflection about reentry process
- Post-break service project
- Challenge to make changes in life choices to benefit the community
4. Active Citizen: Community becomes a priority in values and life choices.