Published: April 26, 2024

move-inWith many students planning to leave campus and Boulder at the end of the semester, here are some tips and general reminders. 

Donate items you no longer need 

As you prepare for move-out, you may have stuff you no longer need or want. Donating your items means you have less to pack up and move, and it gives your items a second life. 

  • Donation locations will be available at the residence halls to collect clothing, unopened non-perishable foods, books, personal care products and more. 
  • Students can also donate items to an off-campus vendor before moving out. 
  • The Folsom and TLC bike stations will accept bike donations. The donated bikes will be refurbished and sold at the annual Bike Sale in the fall. 

Storage options 

  • Summer storage is available for students at the campus UPS Stores
  • The CU Bike Program can store your bike for $20 over the summer. 

Reminders for on-campus residents 

  • All resident contracts expire on May 9 at 10 a.m. for residence halls, Bear Creek and Weber Hall. You must complete a summer housing application to be eligible for summer housing. 
  • Students should return their room to the original move-in condition before moving out. Follow the steps outlined in the cleaning checklist to minimize any damage charges. 
  • Dispose of all recycling and trash in the appropriate receptacles outside your hall. 
  • Return your mailbox key to your assigned UPS Store location. 
  • Learn more about on-campus move-out information.  

Reminders for off-campus residents 

  • If you are moving out, remember to properly dispose of any items you are getting rid of. Large items will not be picked up with regular trash, and disposing of electronics in a landfill is illegal.  
  • Off-Campus Housing & Neighborhood Relations (OCHNR) and the Environmental Center have resources on how to recycle or donate electronics, mattresses, clothing, small appliances and other hard-to-dispose-of materials. 
  • If you are leaving Boulder for the summer, post your sublet or create a roommate profile on Ralphie’s List, CU’s rental database. 
  • Sublease agreements are available from OCHNR. If you have legal concerns about subleasing, you can schedule an appointment with an attorney through OCHNR for free legal advice. Student Legal Services (SLS) also provides free lease reviews. SLS can be reached by visiting UMC 311 or calling 303-492-6813. 
  • If you will be gone for an extended period, ask a friend or neighbor to watch your property and consider putting your mail on hold while you are away. Consider setting your lights on a timer, lock all doors and windows and make sure your valuables are not visible from the outside. 
  • Protect your property from a possible flooding situation. If you live in a flood-prone area or a basement apartment, remember to remove items from the floor before you leave. Get flood safety information. 
  • Boulder has enacted a bear ordinance requiring all residents west of Broadway to keep their trash secured in bear-resistant containers or enclosed areas. If you are subletting this summer, properly secure your trash. 
  • If you are still looking for fall housing, search Ralphie’s List or connect with OCHNR for a list of property management companies and apartment complexes.