Our research is driven by two interconnected thrusts — Discovery of New Quantum Materials and Control of Novel Quantum States. It encompasses a methodical search for new quantum materials, especially new 4d- and 5d-electron based materials, and a systematic effort to elucidate and control novel quantum states in these materials. Our group is equipped with (1) Comprehensive facilities to synthesize bulk single crystals of a wide range of materials, in particular, transition metal oxides and chalcogenides, and (2) a wide spectrum of tools for experimental studies of structural, transport, magnetic, thermal and dielectric properties as functions of chemical composition, temperature, magnetic field, and pressure. Measurements are often carried out at extreme conditions, i.e., ultralow temperatures, high magnetic fields and high pressures. We have also established broad collaborations with leading scientists in the US and around the world. Visit our group website for more information.
- “Electrical Control of Structural and Physical Properties via Spin-Orbit Interactions in Sr2IrO4”, G. Cao, J. Terzic, H. D. Zhao, H. Zheng, Peter Riseborough, L. E. DeLong, Phys. Rev. Lett. 120, 017201 (2018); DOI: https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.120.017201; Editor’s Suggestion
- “Observation of a Pressure-Induced Transition from Interlayer Ferromagnetism to Intralayer Antiferromagnetism in Sr4Ru3O10”, H . Zheng, W.H. Song, J. Terzic, H. D. Zhao, Y. Zhang, Y. F. Ni, L. E. DeLong, P. Schlottmann and G. Cao, Phys. Rev. B 98, 064418 (2018); DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevB.98.064418; Editor’s Suggestion
- Review: “The Challenge of Spin-Orbit-Tuned Ground States in Iridates: A Key Issues Review”, Gang Cao and Pedro Schlottmann, Reports on Progress in Physics 81 042502 (2018)
“Novel magnetism of Ir5+ (5d4) ions in the double perovskite Sr2YIrO6”, G. Cao, T. F. Qi, L. Li, J. Terzic, S. J. Yuan, L. E. DeLong, G. Murthy and R. K. Kaul, Phys. Rev. Lett. 112, 056402 (2014); DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.112.056402
- “Lattice-Tuned Magnetism of Ru4+(4d4) Ions in Single-Crystals of the Layered Honeycomb Ruthenates: Li2RuO3 and Na2RuO3”, J. C. Wang, J. Terzic, T. F. Qi, Feng Ye, S. J. Yuan, S. Aswartham, S. V. Streltsov, D. I. Khomskii, R. K. Kaul and G. Cao, Phys. Rev. B 90 161110 (R) (2014); DOI:10.1103/PhysRevB.90.161110
- Book: “Frontiers of 4d- and 5d- Transition Metal Oxides”, Gang Cao and Lance E. De Long, World Scientific, London, 2013; ISBN: 978-981-4374-859 http://www.worldscientific.com/worldscibooks/10.1142/8331
- “Negative Volume Thermal Expansion via Orbital and Magnetic Orders in Single-Crystal Ca2Ru1-xCrxO4”, T.F. Qi, O.B. Korneta, S. Parkin, L.E. DeLong, P. Schlottmann and G. Cao, Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 177203 (2010).
- “Observation of Strong Spin Valve Effect in Bulk Ca3(Ru1-xCrx)2O7”, G. Cao, V. Durairaj S. Chikara L. E. DeLong and P. Schlottmann, Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 106604 (2008)
- “Colossal Magnetoresistance by Avoiding a Ferromagnetic State in Mott System Ca3Ru2O7”, X. N. Lin, Z.X. Zhou, V. Durairaj, P. Schlottmenn and G. Cao, Phys. Rev. Lett. 95, 017203 (2005)
- “Anomalous Magnetic and Transport properties in Magnetic Insulator Sr3Ir2O7”, G. Cao, Y. Xin, C. S. Alexander, J.E. Crow and P. Schlottmann, Phys. Rev. B 66, 214412 (2002)
- “Charge Density Wave Formation Accompanying Ferromagnetic Ordering in Quasi-one-dimensional BaIrO3”, G. Cao, J.E. Crow, R.P. Guertin, P. Henning, C.C. Homes, M. Strongin, D.N. Basov, and E. Lochner, Solid State Comm. 113, 657 (2000)
- “Weak Ferromagnetism, Metal-to-Nonmetal Transition and Negative Differential Resistivity in Single Crystal Sr2IrO4”, G. Cao, J. Bolivar, S. McCall, J.E. Crow, and R.P. Guertin, Phys. Rev. B 57, R 11039 (1998)
- “Observation of a Metallic Antiferroamgnetic Phase and Metal-Nonmetal Transition in Ca3Ru2O7”, G. Cao, S. McCall, J.E. Crow and R.P. Guertin, Phys. Rev. Lett. 78, 1751 (1997)
- “Thermal, Magnetic and Transport Properties of Single Crystal Sr1-xCaxRuO3 (0 £ x£ 1.0)”, G. Cao, S. McCall, M. Shepard, J. E. Crow, and R. P. Guertin, Phys. Rev. B 56, 321 (1997)
- “Magnetic and Transport Properties of Single Crystal Ca2RuO4: Relationship to Superconducting Sr2RuO4”, G. Cao, S. McCall, M. Shepard, J.E. Crow and R.P. Guertin, Phys. Rev. B 56, R2916 (1997)