Funding is paid as a stipend using the university's payroll system (job code 3205), so students will need to be entered into the system before they can be paid. 

Project mentors will not process student payments. Partners in the HR Service Center (HRSC) enter students in the payroll system, and students will need to complete the following steps to receive payment:

To you receive your payment, you may need to complete the "Personal Information Form" in a system called Taleo. This is the system the university uses to securely collect personal information for "new hires" or those paid using the payroll system.

Do I need to complete the personal information form?

  • Students will need to complete this form if they have never worked for CU (any campuses) as a student or otherwise.
  • Students will not need to complete this form if they already have an employee identification number.

When should I complete the personal information form?

Students should provide their personal information, using the form, as soon as possible.

How do I complete the personal information form?

Before providing your personal information, watch a short video on how to complete the form.

When providing your personal information, please

  • Enter your name as it appears on your social security card.  If you do not have a social security number, you will need to apply for one to receive your payment.
  • Enter a mailing address at which you can receive your paycheck in case you don’t enroll in direct deposit.  You will have the opportunity to enroll in direct deposit in the MyCUInfo portal (the CU portal for students/employees) later.
  • If you have a middle name, enter it (or at the very least an initial). This helps differentiate between employees with similar names.
  • Do not fill out this form more than once, and be sure to fill in every field before submitting.

Complete the Personal Information Form (Taleo)

Frequently Asked Questions

An employee ID number is the unique 6-digit identification number given to a University of Colorado "employee" upon hire. It is not your social security number or IdentiKey.

Your employee ID number is printed at the top of each pay advice or check that you receive. It can also be located in MyCUinfo on the welcome page under MyCUinfo Profile, or the Pay Advice section under Employee Information on the CU Resources page.

Human Resources does not request personal information outside of established business processes to complete the hiring process. If you are unsure of a request for personal information, please contact Human Resources at 303-492-6475 or

After students have been entered for payment in the system, they may setup or confirm their direct deposit information to receive their PACE award payment directly in their bank account.  Current employees should follow these instructions to confirm their direct deposit and mailing address information is correct.

What do I need to know about setting up direct deposit?

  • If students do not setup direct deposit, they will be mailed a check at the "mailing address" in the system.
  • Setting up direct deposit for a Bursar account is not the same as doing so in the myCUinfo employee portal.
  • Students can access myCUinfo from the Buff Portal by looking for "CU Resources."
  • If you are moving or plan to move soon, you might consider setting up mail forwarding with the United States Postal Service (USPS) to ensure you receive your payment—if you're expecting a check.

When do I setup direct deposit?

Currently active employees may review and update direct deposit and mailing address information anytime.  Students without an employee identification number will need to setup direct deposit and update their mailing address based on the "Payment Timeline" in the decision notice.

How do I setup direct deposit?

Learn more about direct deposit with PACE's step-by-step guide to setting up direct deposit and updating your mailing address.

How to Setup Direct Deposit and Update Your Mailing Address

Financial Details and Tax Information

Although students need an employee identification number and payments are made through the payroll system, PACE funding is are not considered payroll wages or employee compensation. Funding is classified as fellowships/stipends. See IRS Publication 970 for guidance regarding fellowships.

Payments to recipients who are U.S. citizens and resident aliens are not typically subject to federal and state income tax withholding and payroll taxes (i.e., FICA and Medicare taxes). The university has no tax reporting requirement for these payments (no W-2), however UROP recipients should be aware that these payments may be taxable income and should consult with their tax advisors. The university is required to report the payments on the federal form 1042-S.  Nonresident aliens are subject to federal income tax withholding and should schedule an appointment with a university International Tax Specialist.