Requirements and Materials Needed to Apply
Applications are welcomed from students with ambition, enthusiasm, and outstanding undergraduate records who are seeking a challenging graduate level program to prepare for careers in research, teaching, or public service.
December 1 – Final deadline.
Study begins in the fall semester only.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.75 (on a 4-point scale).
- Prior research experience beyond basic class-associated lab courses
- Coursework – courses and/or demonstrable competency in the following areas is strongly preferred: Genetics; Cell Biology; Developmental Biology, General and Organic Chemistry, Physical Chemistry (i.e. thermodynamics), Biochemistry, Mathematics (i.e. Calculus and/or Statistics) and General Physics. Students lacking specific coursework in one or two of these areas may be required to make up the deficiency after enrollment.
Application Requirements (Submitted through the Online Application link below) :
- University of Colorado Application
- Curriculum Vitae (2 pages maximum)
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty or others qualified to evaluate your potential for graduate study
- Personal Statement (2 pages maximum)
Your personal statement should provide the admissions committee information you think is important/relevant to their decision. Some people focus on their own research, while others take different approaches. For example if there are extenuating circumstances related to your credentials or application, this is a good place to describe them.
- Nonrefundable application fee ($60 domestic; $80 international)
Submitted Directly to the University of Colorado on line (see link below)
- For review and decision purposes you are required to upload an unofficial copy of your transcript(s) in the online application. Your application requires one copy of the scanned transcript from each undergraduate and graduate institution that you attended. This includes community colleges, summer sessions, and extension programs. While credits from one institution may appear on the transcript of a second institution, unofficial transcripts must be submitted from each institution, regardless of how long you attended or whether or not you completed the courses. High School transcripts are not requested. Failure to list and submit transcripts from all institutions previously attended is considered to be a violation of academic ethics and may result in the cancellation of your admission or dismissal from the University.
- Note: You will be required to provide official transcripts once you have been offered admission. Do not submit these official copies for the review process.
- International Applicants must also submit an Official TOEFL (institution code 4841) or IELTS Score unless you are from a country where the primary language is English, have spent one year at a university where the instruction language was English, or have spent the last three years in an English speaking country . The TOEFL requirement for MCD Biology is 600 (paper based); 250 (computer based); 100 (internet based). The IELTS requirement is 6-7.
Please refer all questions to MCDBGrad@Colorado.EDU
Note: GRE not required.